Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for an upcoming in-person Adobe Target Skill Builders event ~~> We're hosting these live learning opportunities to equip you with the knowledge and skills to leverage Target successfully. Learn more to see if we'll be coming to a city near you!
SOLVED

Target Experience for A/B test changing after user login

Level 3

Hi,

I have created an MVT test that has 4 experiences, targeted to all visitors.

Noticed that when a user first visit the page, they see Exp A (for example). But when they login and come back to the targeted page, they see Experience B.

I believe this happens because the mbox3rdPartyId is being passed to Target.

Is there a workaround for this where a visitor could be assigned the same experience even after login?

i.e before login visitor sees Exp A & after login as well they see Exp A?

Thanks

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @hs_vk  - thanks for your patience here, was away and just checked this question is still open.

After going through the article you shared above and the example in the first table of this article, it seems your scenario is working as per product-design. I haven't come across this myself before so will have to test it before I can provide a 100% confirmed response.

I was wondering whether you could also reach out to the Adobe Engineering team for their opinion on the workaround (apart from moving to setCustomerID method instead of mbox3rdpartyid)?

Regards

Rajneesh

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

hi @hs_vk  - is it possible to share how you have configured your success-metric under Goals & Settings step? Unless you have configured the user to release and re-enter the activity, Adobe Target should show the same experience the user was originally assigned to.

Also worth checking your Adobe Target implementation and confirm ECID/PCID do not change after user logs in.

Regards

Rajneesh

Level 3

Hi @Rajneesh_Gautam_ 

Sure, the success_metric is that visitor has viewed Page = A (i.e. the page with the exp)

Also confirmed that ECID/PCID remains the same after user log in

After login however the mbox3rdPartyId is being passed whereas before login its the PCID/ECID. Is that why the experience changes? 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/visitor-profiles/3rd-party-id.html?la...

The above doc says - For example, suppose that a visitor accesses a page before logging in and sees an experience. The global mbox does not use 3rdPartyID. After logging in, the visitor sees one of three experiences with child mboxes, some of which use 3rdPartyID. The visitor visits various pages on the site and then uses the Back button to return to the main page accessed before logging in and sees a different experience. In this scenario, the global mbox did not pass 3rdPartyID, but one or more of the child mboxes did. 3rdPartyID took priority over PCID. 

I am looking to understand if this is the issue or something else? and if there's a workaround

Community Advisor

hi @hs_vk  - wondering whether you could try changing the success-metric to some other page (interested to know though the rationale behind setting the success-metric to the same page where activity is activated).

Could you also confirm whether there is any advanced settings for the success metric?

Lastly - to exclude any impact of mbox3rdpartyid - does this issue only occur when you login OR does it also happen if you go to another logged-out paged and return back? 

Regards

Rajneesh

Level 3

Hi @Rajneesh_Gautam_ 

Sorry I got that mixed up. So success metric is Measuring views of the homepage where as the activity page is a different page. This was just set up as a test activity.

There aren't any advanced settings

The issue just happens on login. So when a first time user goes to the page, they are shown an experience (Exp A) but then when they login & go to the homepage they see Exp B. From that point they're always shown Exp B even if they log out & return to the page

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @hs_vk  - thanks for your patience here, was away and just checked this question is still open.

After going through the article you shared above and the example in the first table of this article, it seems your scenario is working as per product-design. I haven't come across this myself before so will have to test it before I can provide a 100% confirmed response.

I was wondering whether you could also reach out to the Adobe Engineering team for their opinion on the workaround (apart from moving to setCustomerID method instead of mbox3rdpartyid)?

Regards

Rajneesh