Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024 Adobe Target Community Mentorship Program are open! Click to the right to learn more about participating as either an Aspirant, to professionally level up with a new Certification, or as a Mentor, to share your Adobe Target expertise and inspire through your leadership! Submit your application today.
SOLVED

How does Target randomly allocate traffic?

Level 2

How does Adobe Target decide which experience a visitor sees? I'm looking for more detailed information to satisfy internal stakeholders that the selection is random.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Rommil , 

Though we don't know the exact algorithm that Adobe Target uses in the backend it more or less works as described below:

1. Adobe Target sets cookies for every new user and retains it till the profile is active (by default 14 days)
  2. Based on the cookie values Adobe Target will qualify visitors into different buckets. Say all cookies ending with even number go to group A, all cookies ending with odd number go to group B.
  3. As you can imagine there are many ways in which you can achieve this. The link that @Eric_Vidana shared regarding the profile scripts should give you more ideas on how the split can happen (and be controlled if you wish to). 

Ultimately, it is the persistent cookies + some basic logic defined within the Target product that helps you split the traffic between A and B experiences.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

This sort of depends on the type of activity that you are using. If you are talking about AB activities, it is a random percentage split. If you would like control over the split to feel more comfortable, you could use a profile script as mentioned below and switch to an XT activity to set up an experience for each of the groups.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/audiences/visitor-profiles/use-profile-scripts-...

Level 2

Is there more details around the random percentage split? I assume there's is a qualification step, the the randomization is based on some value.. trying to get some more specific details.

Level 2

I'm specifically looking for information around A/B tests. I.e., how does Adobe Target, specifically decide which variant a user receives?

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi @Rommil , 

Though we don't know the exact algorithm that Adobe Target uses in the backend it more or less works as described below:

1. Adobe Target sets cookies for every new user and retains it till the profile is active (by default 14 days)
  2. Based on the cookie values Adobe Target will qualify visitors into different buckets. Say all cookies ending with even number go to group A, all cookies ending with odd number go to group B.
  3. As you can imagine there are many ways in which you can achieve this. The link that @Eric_Vidana shared regarding the profile scripts should give you more ideas on how the split can happen (and be controlled if you wish to). 

Ultimately, it is the persistent cookies + some basic logic defined within the Target product that helps you split the traffic between A and B experiences.