Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Livecycle Designer Error- everytime I open FORMS-HELP!

Former Community Member
Can someone help me please?!

I can't seem to find anyone that can.

I have CS3 and everytime I open forms this happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 different times-still continues...

I get this ERROR:

Adobe LiveCycle Designer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error signature:

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.0.2073.1 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 04d58113

then I get a second one saying:

Error signature:

AppName: formdesigner.exe AppVer: 8.0.2073.1 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000431a0

thanks,

cyndie
43 Replies

Former Community Member
I too am having issues with Live Cycle crashing and I have uninstalled all of my SQL Server 2008 programs/files. Per your recommendations, I have created a dump file and have the build number ready to send. My email is kimberlea.s@gmail.com if could also have the FTP info to send to you it would be much appreciated. Also, I am still running the Acrobat 8.0 Pro, haven't upgraded to 9.0 yet if that makes any difference.

Thank you bunches

Former Community Member
Hi - this might help all those with this particular problem.

If you are in a server environment, get an administrator to log on and rename your profile - when you log back in, you will get a new profile (and all the hassle of re-creating links, etc) but your LiveCycle will work!

In XP or vista - create a new user, and log on to that - Livecycle will work!

TIP: you will find all your old settings in your old profile - favourites, pics, music, etc.

Former Community Member
Adobe should be embarrassed to allow serious problems like this to linger with no fix and leave it up to customers to figure out workarounds.

Former Community Member
Mike,

I agree! This problem has been around and supposedly Adobe has fixed it. But the fix hasn't worked for me. Here's the thread where the same (or similar) crash problem is being discussed.

Former Community Member
Where is the thread?

Thanks!

Here's the thread where the same (or similar) crash problem is being discussed.

Former Community Member
I am completely upset with this. I have had this happen to me 2 times now. I tried everything that was suggested and nothing worked. The only thing that I could do is remove everything adobe on my system and re-install everything. Including my CS3 suite(Which I use Dreamweaver and it's a pain to re-map all the sites that I work on and re-install all the extensions i use with it), Reader, and of course Acrobat 9. I had to go through the reg and deleted all instances of Adobe, including all folders and files within program files and application data. If Adobe wants to keep my business, they sure better send out a patch for this soon..

Former Community Member
Hi again

I too had this persistent problem, and went through the whole install/uninstall, and also creating new profiles which i mentioned as an option before. Since that is a fairly extreme option, I have found something else that works for me - try this:

navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\**USER**\Application Data\Adobe\Designer

and delete the entire folder entitled 8.2

Launch Livecycle Designer and voila! up and running, albeit without any customisations you may have made, such as fragment libraries and such. You might want to bck thos up somewhere before you delete the folder, but I found this works pretty well for me. Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
I have tried that with no success. Considering this was the second time this has happened, I decided to use a second machine only for that software, I do not have time nor do I want to spend the time debuggin this issue, reinstalling and uninstalling my other Adobe software. I figure since this is the only one I have problems with i will just use a second machine for now.

Former Community Member
I too am having this problem and am unable to run Livecycle Designer!

I'm running on Windows XP SP3.

I had this problem initially on Acrobat version 8.1. I upgraded to version 9 and everything worked well for 3 days. This evening, every attempt to start Livecycle causes a crash, followed by a Dr Watson crash.

From XP Application log...

Faulting application formdesigner.exe, version 8.2.1.3144, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x05e37320.

Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001295d.

FormDesigner.exe is still running and appears in the process list. It can't be stopped with an End Process. It can be removed with End Process Tree - which reports "The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process." followed by "One or more of the processes in this process tree could not be ended. The operation was not fully successful."

Removing and reinstalling Acrobat did not help.

Former Community Member
It is definitely something in the user profile that is causing the crash. I found a work-around that will get it working again, ONCE.

1. Using the registry editor, regedit, rename this branch in the registry to something else. I changed 8.2 to 8.2broken.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Designer\8.2

2. Make sure FormDesigner.exe is not already running. End the task in Task Manager. If you cant end it, look for instances of drwtsn32.exe and end them instead. Reporting this crash, at least on my machine, also crashes the default debugger, Dr. Watson.

3. Restart Livecycle Designer. It should start normally. Youll have to reestablish your preferences.

4. Delete your renamed registry branch from step 1.

Designer will still crash the next time you use it.

Sheldon

Former Community Member
OK, at least in my case, the problem seems to be triggered by the persisted toolbar state in the registry.

Ive created a work around that lets me run Livecycle Designer without the crash:

1. Create a file called resetDesigner.reg that contains these 3 lines. Note that the second blank line is required.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Designer\8.2\ToolBarsEN178]

2. Create a command file called, resetDesigner.cmd to run it, containing 1 line:

regedit /s "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Designer 8.2\resetDesigner.reg"

3. Place a shortcut to the command file on the desktop

4. Click the icon created in #3 before launching Livecycle Designer to remove the saved toolbar state from the registry.

I have to reset the layout of the IDE each time, but at least I can run Designer again.

Sheldon

Level 1
Has anyone else here installed any special fonts?? I received a font from Adobe, Sanvito Pro, for registering the new version. I had it installed on my laptop, which is the first system to blow up. I started editing on my desktop and all was fine, then i realized i didnt' have one of the fonts i was using, and installed on my desktop. (I was in MS word at that time.) After going back to my form, later, Live designer blew up on my desktop. I just realized this could be the issue!??

Level 1
I may have discovered the problem... I was editing forms on my notebook when suddenly the program blew up-same error as all above. I'm on Vista ultimate, sp1. My Live Cycle is an upgrade in the CS4 design premium set. I started w/ Photoshop 4 or 5 a million years ago!! None of that matters, though.

After my notebook wouldn't run Live Cycle, I went to my desktop system. All was fine in Live Cycle. In MS Word, I was working on a document, and needed a font not installed. I got this font from Adobe, as a "gift" for registering my product (CS4). It is Sanvito Pro... I installed the font on my desktop and finished my word doc.

Later, I went back to Live Cycle, to finish the form and POW. Blew up when I tried to open the form I edited earlier without issue. I just put this together as I was looking at the various files in the user folders in Vista. I noticed a file AdobeSystemFontCache.lst and this triggered the memory of installing the font, just before the blow up on this computer. Did anyone else install this font, or any other, then experience the blow up??

Former Community Member
Yes I remember installing the "gift" font but did not connect the two events. I too am on Vista Ultimate SP1 and none of the workarounds have worked for me. So I am not sure of the causality of that font. I do know that I might used it once or twice but at the time I stayed with the default in LS because I was a newbie and was looking at some serious deadlines.

So now that you might have found the problem keep us posted on the solution as and when you find it. It is a real drag having to work on a desktop that has nothing else running but LiveCycle and shuttling files.

Level 1
I tried uninstalling the font without any change. I then went to C:\Users\*your name*\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Designer\8.2 and tried editing some of the font files which had many notations of invalid font... no luck. I then deleted the 8.2 folder above which is located in a different place in XP... this seems to have fixed the trouble.

I compared the 8.2 folders before (when it was not working) and after (when the program created the files fresh) and there are only 3 files that are different. I'll save this in case it crashes again, then i'll see if there is a common denominator, so only the offending file will need to be deleted, possibly, saving customizations I hope!

I'm also going to go downstairs to my desktop and see if the "fix" works without uninstalling the Sanvito Pro font. I'll post again then.

Former Community Member
After LiveCycle Designer crashed, I have got from VistaSP1 the following notice:

Follow the steps in the Knowledge Base (KB) article to solve the problem with the Microsoft Visual Studio mfc80u.dll or mfc80.dll module

This problem was caused by the Microsoft Visual Studio mfc80u.dll or mfc80.dll module, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

Solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To fix this problem, follow the steps in this online Microsoft Support Knowledge Base (KB) article:

KB961894: An application crashes after you install a product that updates the Mfc80.dll or Mfc80u.dll module

problem.

After installing the MS Hotfix from the MS support site (vcredist_x86.exe) LiveCycleDesigner runs without problems

Level 1
[q]After installing the MS Hotfix from the MS support site (vcredist_x86.exe) LiveCycleDesigner runs without problems[/q]

I am experiencing a similar issue. I previously installed this fix and have had now problems since ... until today. I installed an evaluation version of CommonLook 4.1 which included a vcredist_x86.exe of its own (I discovered this after installation). The issue I am running into now is when attempting to open or create any document in LiveCycle (8.2.1) it crashes. Note that I can start LiveCycle without any problem. The crash occurs when attempting to create or open a document. I have tried applying the fix (several times before and after uninstalling CommonLook 4.1) discussed above but it does not address the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or the like and if so were you able to address the issue without a reinstall of Acrobat/LiveCycle (I'm still reserving this as a last resort)?

Level 1
Well after much searching with no answers I started exploring possibilities. I noticed that This seemed only to occur when running LiveCycle under my user account and that it did not crash when running with Admin privileges. What finally fixed the issue for me was going into the C:\Documents and Settings\#username#\Application Data\Adobe\Designer directory and removing the 8.0 and 8.2 directories. Of course this seems to have forced LiveCycle to recreate all the necessary default files there. Low and behold all seems to be good again. *shrug* Oh well. I hope this is helpful to others that may find themselves with a similar situation.

Level 2

thank you i did just that and it worked like a charm.

Thank you for that tip.

Level 1

Level 1

THANK YOU. i lots MANY hours uninstalling and reinstalling and this post in all likelyhood stopped me from going absolutely insane. I was losing my mind...

For those on Window7, the "Designer" folder is located here:

C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Adobe/Designer

Deleting this folder save my sanity...