Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Sending data to Adobe analytics via server-to-server implementation

Community Advisor

Hi,

Our client is currently using Adobe data collection tags on the client side to transmit data to Adobe Analytics. However, they are now considering a transition to server-side implementation. According to the information I have gathered from Adobe's documentation, the platform edge network is used to send data to Adobe products, which can be configured via datastreams. On the other hand, for transmitting events to non-Adobe products, the recommended approach is to use the launch server-side method.

I have got the complete access to Adobe data collection, still i am not able to see datastreams on the data collection console.I would like to know if AEP license is required for utilising datastreams in Adobe data collection. If yes, what could be the other possible way to send data to Adobe Analytics.

@Anil_Umachigi 

@arijitg 

@ChetanyaJain 

@Anuhya-Y 

Thanks,

Arpan

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@arpan-garg All good, no need to apologise. The community is here help. 

Right so let me explain with example and more context. 

1.Option1: The AEP way of data collection. 

Data collection is more streamlined with AEP Data collection, i.e you capture data using a common convention and use it for any of the adobe experience cloud products ( AA, AT, AAM and AEP CDP of-course). 

You can use the new data collection methodology to capture data client or server side ( what you want to do) 

If you go this way, you will have to get AEP provisioned for the org, it would be wise to discuss costing if any with an adobe CSM. 

Once you this provisioned, you can explore the Server to Server API as an option for your requirement. 

I just published a post on Adobe Experience Platform data collection, this will hopefully help you understand how it is all set up. 

Option 2: Using the current Adobe analytics license

This is without any AEP way of data collection, please note Adobe Event forwarding is AEP way of data collection so not really applicable here. 

Data Insertion API and Bulk Data Insertion API are both methods to submit server-side collection data to Adobe Analytics.

Data Insertion API calls are made one event at a time (example below) .

Bulk Data Insertion API accepts CSV formatted files containing event data, one event per row. If you are working on a new implementation of server-side collection, Adobe recommends using the Bulk Data Insertion API.

You can either use Data Insertion or Bulk data insertion as per your needs. 

Here's an example request for dat insertion API 

import axios from 'axios';

const response = await axios.get('https://example.sc.omtrdc.net/b/ss/examplersid/0?g=https%3A%2F%2Fexample%2Ecom&pageName=Data%20Insertion%20API%20test%20%28GET%29&vid=1286556420966514130');

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear arpang16406580,

For accessing AEP Schemas & Data Streams you do not need any AEP licensing. You just need to request for the provision by reaching Adobe Client Care and they can enable the same for you.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Community Advisor

@arpan-garg 

There are couple of ways you can do this, with or without AEP way. Let me explain

1. Option 1: Use Server to Server API with AEP, this is assuming you are moving towards AEP not just for analytics for may be few other features. The reason i say that is this requires good amount restructuring, designing and implementation efforts.  
  2. Option 2: Assuming you are not making big changes, you could use the same solution design and the data you send via AA pixel and move it to server side using "Bulk Data Insertion API". This will be bit of work but should not be a huge change. 

Hope that helps! 

Community Advisor

Hello @Anil_Umachigi ,I appreciate your valuable insights.

I apologize for my limited knowledge in this area as I am new to it. I have a few questions regarding both options:

Option 1: Could you please explain what you mean by "Server to Server with AEP"? Our client does not have an AEP license. Are you suggesting the creation of experience event schemas and mapping these schemas to data elements in Adobe Launch?

Option 2: Are you referring to the process of establishing new rules in event forwarding and utilizing the Bulk Data Insertion API to transmit data to Adobe Analytics? I see this is basically for historical data which can be uploaded as a CSV.

Thank you.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@arpan-garg All good, no need to apologise. The community is here help. 

Right so let me explain with example and more context. 

1.Option1: The AEP way of data collection. 

Data collection is more streamlined with AEP Data collection, i.e you capture data using a common convention and use it for any of the adobe experience cloud products ( AA, AT, AAM and AEP CDP of-course). 

You can use the new data collection methodology to capture data client or server side ( what you want to do) 

If you go this way, you will have to get AEP provisioned for the org, it would be wise to discuss costing if any with an adobe CSM. 

Once you this provisioned, you can explore the Server to Server API as an option for your requirement. 

I just published a post on Adobe Experience Platform data collection, this will hopefully help you understand how it is all set up. 

Option 2: Using the current Adobe analytics license

This is without any AEP way of data collection, please note Adobe Event forwarding is AEP way of data collection so not really applicable here. 

Data Insertion API and Bulk Data Insertion API are both methods to submit server-side collection data to Adobe Analytics.

Data Insertion API calls are made one event at a time (example below) .

Bulk Data Insertion API accepts CSV formatted files containing event data, one event per row. If you are working on a new implementation of server-side collection, Adobe recommends using the Bulk Data Insertion API.

You can either use Data Insertion or Bulk data insertion as per your needs. 

Here's an example request for dat insertion API 

import axios from 'axios';

const response = await axios.get('https://example.sc.omtrdc.net/b/ss/examplersid/0?g=https%3A%2F%2Fexample%2Ecom&pageName=Data%20Insertion%20API%20test%20%28GET%29&vid=1286556420966514130');

Community Advisor

Hi @Anil_Umachigi, thank you once again for the valuable insight.

I'm uncertain whether we need to have AEP provisioned for the server-to-server API (option 1). According to this document https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/platform-learn/implement-web-sdk/initial-configuration/confi..., it states that these features should be accessible to all Experience Cloud customers, regardless of whether they are using a Platform-based application like Real-Time CDP.

Community Advisor

@arpan-garg Yes AEP needs to be provisioned, reach out to CSM and they should be able to help you with that. 

Employee Advisor

@arpan-garg Datastreams are available to all customers by default in Tags. It all depends on permissions given to you in admin console. Just check the AEP permissions and Data collection permission to the product profile you are added to. That will give you access to data streams. 

Yes you can Edge server API to implement server - side to products like Adobe analytics and other adobe experience cloud solutions. 

Check out this document on how to use this API 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/edge-network-server-api/overview.html?la...

And other option is Data insertion API that @Anil_Umachigi has already mentioned