Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Are the default image 'thumbnails' created on upload for internal AEM use only actually required ?

Level 3

Our image upload process (OOTB I think) includes the creation of a few thumbnails specifically required for use on AEM screens only.

But they appear as static renditions for each image, and are also options for download.

I've read that the display of these can be limited by using the 'image preset listing' and 'image preset datasource ' nodes.

Couple of questions

1/  Are these renditions actually needed just for AEM internal use ?

If they are - it seems crazy that the default is to display them to users and to show them as download options when they have no relevance to users.

2/ Does changing the node setting also remove these renditions from being download options ?

I assume not.

Also presumably changing the number of static renditions displayed would include limiting any user generated image presets being displayed too.

These are likely to be always needed as they are user generated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi, I think you posted the question to the wrong community group - AEP instead of AEM. But to answer your query, the static rendtions are usable for customer implementation too along with AEM author usage.

For example, you can pick the thumbnail rendition to be used in a custom component to render as a thumbnail image for an image in an AEM page. Static renditions usage really depends on what other products your have eg. DM or how your image component is rendering the image

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi, I think you posted the question to the wrong community group - AEP instead of AEM. But to answer your query, the static rendtions are usable for customer implementation too along with AEM author usage.

For example, you can pick the thumbnail rendition to be used in a custom component to render as a thumbnail image for an image in an AEM page. Static renditions usage really depends on what other products your have eg. DM or how your image component is rendering the image

Level 3

Oops - thanks for your reply.

What happens if we don't create these renditions automatically on upload ?

Does that mean that assets won't have thumbnails in listing, card view etc ?

G