Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Potential bug- switching action order

Level 9

I'm seeing a problem in launch with my Analytics action order. If I:

• create a rule (click-based, FWIW)
  • add the "Adobe Analytics: Set Variables" action (and add in my variables)
  • save the rule
  • re-open the rule
  • add the "Adobe Analytics: Send Beacon" action to fire AFTER my Set Variables (s.tl, if that makes a difference)
  • add the "Adobe Analytics: Clear Variables" action to fire AFTER my Send Beacon (I don't know if this makes a difference to my bug)... for reference, at this point my rule looks like this:
    1518504_pastedImage_4.png
  • save the rule

...Then when I re-open the rule, view it in my library in my publishing flow, or view how the rule behaves in my environment, the action order has magically changed to "Send Beacon" FIRST, and my variables don't get set:

1518505_pastedImage_5.png

This has happened three times to me now. If I remember to not save the rule until all three actions are added, it seems to be ok- but not if I add Set Variables, save, then come back in and add the other actions.
Is this a bug? Does this happen to anyone else?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

We released a fix in our release this morning (2018-07-24).  In order to get things ordered correctly, you'll need to open your rule, make a change (you can change the order, then change it back to where it was, that counts), and save the rule.

We are working on an automated process that will fix this automatically for all affected rules, but that will probably not make it into a release until next week, so those negatively impacted can fix it manually now.

Technical details for those curious: under the hood, each action in a rule has an order.  There were some scenarios where the order was not being saved correctly.  Sometimes it didn't matter, and sometimes it caused your actions to appear in a different order than they were when you saved them (if you opened the rule again after save).  The fix waits for a rule to have a change, then when it is saved, it will normalize the order of all rule components, giving them each a new order value based on what you've specified in your rule.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 9

Huh, and when I tried to fix it back to the right order, the next time I opened it, it was "Set Variables", "Clear Vars", then "Send Beacon". Finally, third times the charm, I fixed the order and it "stuck".

Level 9

It happened to me a few times as well, but I didn't record my steps to reproduce as you did. So I can't say if the same steps caused my problem. But I agree sometimes the action order gets screwed up between saves.

Level 9

Yesterday the action elements were completely f***d up. I couldn't properly reorder them, as where I dropped it was not the place where the element was placed afterwards.

Level 1

I'm having this issue as well.  Even when I fix the order and publish to dev, by the time dev is built the action order reverts back to the incorrect order.  Very frustrating.

Level 1

Seeing this as well, at least once a week, sometimes more.  And then when trying to rearrange them back, when moving the actions around they just go randomly anywhere when I release my mouse and it's very difficult to try and get them to actually stay in the spot I'm dropping them into.

Level 9

Ok, now I have an even more annoying issue with the action order.

If I open the action in Launch, everything seems fine

1. Set Variables
  2. Send Beacon
  3. Clear Variables

But if I look into the built code the actions array is

1. Send Beacon
  2. Set Variables
  3. Clear Variables

Luckily our testers realized that there are not variables sent for these rules, but it took me a while to see why this is the case as the rule looks ok to me.

Level 10

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for sharing all your feedback on this. It definitely is a bug and the product team is aware of it. They are hoping to have a fix pushed out later this week.

Thanks,
Jantzen

Correct answer by
Employee

We released a fix in our release this morning (2018-07-24).  In order to get things ordered correctly, you'll need to open your rule, make a change (you can change the order, then change it back to where it was, that counts), and save the rule.

We are working on an automated process that will fix this automatically for all affected rules, but that will probably not make it into a release until next week, so those negatively impacted can fix it manually now.

Technical details for those curious: under the hood, each action in a rule has an order.  There were some scenarios where the order was not being saved correctly.  Sometimes it didn't matter, and sometimes it caused your actions to appear in a different order than they were when you saved them (if you opened the rule again after save).  The fix waits for a rule to have a change, then when it is saved, it will normalize the order of all rule components, giving them each a new order value based on what you've specified in your rule.

Level 1

We continue to see this issue.  Is there an ETA on the automated fix?

Employee

If you'll open your affected rules, make a change, to that rule, and then save it, the rule will be fixed.  It is important to make a change or the order fixing process is not triggered.  The automated fix is in development now, but will undergo heavy testing because of it's potential impact on customer libraries.  Because individual rules can be fixed as described above, we're taking our time with the testing.  If you are making changes to a rule and saving and your actions are still not the order you saved them in, please provide URL to the affected rule and the detailed steps you're taking (should be done via Customer Care for privacy reasons).

Level 1

Looking forward to the fix   Thank you for the quick response.