Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Will spaces in filenames cause problems for AEM?

Level 2

Hello.

We have users who are uploading files and creating directories with spaces in their names. We discovered the existence of these files on dispatchers while troubleshooting chronic caching problems on our AEM 6.0 SP1 farm.

Ideally we would like to find some way to prevent people from uploading such content but for now I only seek confirmation that files and paths containing whitespace are officially a no-no for AEM environments.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

There might not be an issue in storing but you may face some issues while retrieving programmatically which space and %20 etc. Its always a best practice to use '-' between the words if needed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 8

I don't believe that folders and files with spaces in the name are a no-no.  I performed a quick test with an image and a PDF in the DAM, both with whitespace in the folder and file name and i was successfully able to link to each with no issue.

Correct answer by
Level 10

There might not be an issue in storing but you may face some issues while retrieving programmatically which space and %20 etc. Its always a best practice to use '-' between the words if needed.