Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Where is data stored

Level 2

Hi all,

How can I check where AEM stores the data?  I want to back up data .

I have added my question as below:

We will to upgrade OS and AEM as follows. Between step 1 and step 7, there will be duration gap. How can I get data from (6.2) running server step-1 to (6.5) cloning server step-7 ?

Is it possible to follow the same step as copying filesystem snapshots (copy crx-quickstart folder from AEM 6.2 and paste in AEM 6.5) ?

1) running server

2) clone server

3) 6.2 on clone server 2012 

4) 6.2 on clone server 2016 

5) upgrading 6.2 - 6.5

6) 6.5 on clone server 2016

7) shut down running

live -clone server 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

@Snow123  When AEM is installed, it creates a crx-quickstart folder under <aem-installation-directory> where all the configurations and repository data is stored.

You can take a file system snapshot of the installation directory as backup.

There's a similar thread being discussed here: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/re-aem-data-backup/qaq-p/4...

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

@Snow123  When AEM is installed, it creates a crx-quickstart folder under <aem-installation-directory> where all the configurations and repository data is stored.

You can take a file system snapshot of the installation directory as backup.

There's a similar thread being discussed here: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/re-aem-data-backup/qaq-p/4...

Level 2
@shellygoel06 Thanks for your info. I have added my questions. Can you advise that also?

Employee Advisor
@Snow123 - As this this in-place upgrade that is you're upgrading an existing aem instance, it will have all the data in it already and node/ data stores will be upgraded as well.There is no need for any othe backups except you would backup this instance at all steps to prevent loss in case of issues. You should also have a content freeze (i.e. no content changes) once you begin with these steps.

Level 2

Hi @shelly-goel We are doing in-place upgrade. But, we are doing in-place upgrade in *clone server. Once it is ready, we will shut down the AEM 6.2 server and will make AEM6.5 (clone) server run. During upgrading, AEM 6.2 server will be running and there might be changes as well. Therefore, we would like to back it up changes that have made after we clone the serve. Then, our AEM 6.5 server will not missed any data when we go live.

Employee Advisor
One option could be to keep track of the pages/ content loaction that are getting updated and create a package with those filters to deploy on 6.5 instance

Community Advisor

Hi @Snow123 ,

AEM data is stored under /crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore (TARs) or /crx-quickstart/repository/datastore (Binary Data).

It all depends on your system configurations.

But, if you are asking from taking backups point of view, then please refer to below page for Adobe recommended options:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/administering/operations/backup-and-re...

Thanks,

Chitra

Level 2
Hi @ChitraMadan. Thanks for your info. I have added my questions. Can you advise that also?