Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Smart tags not embedding into downloaded image

Level 1

I have been adding smart tags to assets in AEM and have found that this information is not retained when the image assets are downloaded. Unlike all the other fields like keywords; title etc which become embedded and travel with the image. 
Does anyone have information on this please ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @BRZLAG , AFAIK When an asset is uploaded, the embedded metadata of the file is extracted and put into the metadata node. When downloading the file AEM serves the original binary so additional metadata is not embedded/added to the downloaded file. It is the file that we uploaded initially. The metadata that you are observing in the downloaded file must already be present in the original file.
We do have a metadata write-back process to serve this case, but smart tags are not embedded as far as I know.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

If you want the smart tags to be included with the downloaded image, you would need to manually extract and embed them as metadata within the image file using third-party tools or custom workflows. By default, when downloading the image file from AEM, only the embedded metadata such as keywords, title, and other standard metadata fields are retained, while smart tags are not included.

If you specifically require the smart tags to be preserved when downloading the image, you would need to implement a custom solution that extracts the smart tag information from AEM and embeds it as metadata within the downloaded image file

Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciated. I have now seen that all the other fields that contain data such as title; keywords; copyright etc, they too are not retaining the information added in the DAM, only information added via Adobe Bridge and the camera exif data. During the staging environment this was (not the smart tags) , as I can remember, being retained upon download. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @BRZLAG , AFAIK When an asset is uploaded, the embedded metadata of the file is extracted and put into the metadata node. When downloading the file AEM serves the original binary so additional metadata is not embedded/added to the downloaded file. It is the file that we uploaded initially. The metadata that you are observing in the downloaded file must already be present in the original file.
We do have a metadata write-back process to serve this case, but smart tags are not embedded as far as I know.

Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply. May I ask what a metadata write-back process is please?