Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Should we use symlinks with "Flexible Mode" of AEM dispatcher

Community Advisor

The flexible mode of AEM dispatcher allows to put vhost & farms configs directly in corresponding enabled folders.

Wondering, if we need to still use symlinks. If yes, could you please help me understand the benefits of using symlinks for these configs?

Thanks !

Aanchal Sikka

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hello @aanchal-sikka,

Symbolic links, often referred to as symlinks, offer numerous benefits. They help conserve valuable disk space by avoiding the duplication of data, facilitate file organization, support the creation of backups, and ensure that you always have access to the most up-to-date versions of frequently updated files or directories.

Thanks 

Community Advisor

Thanks @A_H_M_Imrul for the response.

Adobe's recommendation dispatcher structure is already organized.

The configs are available in available_* folders, so no space storage.

No back ups either

I must be missing a point.  It would really help if you could elaborate further.

Aanchal Sikka

Community Advisor

Hello @aanchal-sikka,

The symlink has its own benefits which are not directly connected to Dispatcher Configuration but managing file system in linux

Avoiding Duplication + Disk Space Saving: Symlinks allow you to avoid duplicating data. Instead of creating multiple copies of the same file or directory, you can create symlinks to the original source. This can significantly save disk space, especially when dealing with large files or data that is used in multiple locations. 

Always accessing Update Content:  When dealing with frequently updated files or directories, symlinks ensure you always have access to the latest version. You can create symlinks to point to the current version of a file or directory, simplifying access and updates.

Thanks

Community Advisor

@aanchal-sikka you are right, and I feel it is more of a best practice than hard and fast rule set, until if any SME from Adobe aem cloud differs 

Level 5

I could be wrong but give a shot on what I propose. Recently I worked on the docker setup for ams dispatcher. I found that if you simply copy to enabled folder and if those files are missing in available folder it didn't work from what I understood. Now with this I don't think it's just a best practice but a mandate to either keep copies of enabled ones or create a symlink to avoid duplication. 

Community Advisor

Thanks for sharing your observations @mahi1729 . 

I will try the same

Aanchal Sikka

Administrator

@aanchal-sikka Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni