Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Restore AEM backup

Level 3

Hi All,

May I know how can we restore crx-quickstart backup for publish instance.

The instance is hosted on linux server.

Any pointers may help .

7 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @akank_23!

The correct procedure to restore an AEM instance backup depends on your backup strategy.

You may want to check the official documentation on backup and restore for AEM.

There are different common approaches to backups in AEM

• Use operating system tools to take a snapshot of the instance. This can be a snapshot of the AEM directory, of a file system or of a complete server/virtual machine. A restore would be done by replacing the current folder structure/file system/server/vm with the contents of the desired backup.
  • Use AEMs online backup tool. A restore would be done following the documentation by replacing the current contents of the AEM folder on file system level with the contents of the backup (being it a folder-backup or a zip file; the later would have to be extracted).

There is another approach to restores when it comes to publish instances:

Usually, you will have multiple publish instances available. If you only need a restore for one of them, you can also create a clone of one of the others and restore that to the desired host/instance. You would need to adjust certain configs on the clone to reflect the target instance (probably replication agents for dispatcher flush and similar). In my eyes, this is actually the easiest way to restore a single publish instance (or to add additional ones for scaling purposes).

Hope that helps!

Level 3
@markus_bulla_adobe The publish segment store is corrupted, on starting up the instances it is showing 503 error, which process should we follow 1. to restore the whole crx-quickstart folder 2. fix inconsitenency in segment stone the document presented by adobe ??? Please guide

Employee Advisor

Hi @akank_23!

Without any further knowledge about the situation it's hard to give a clear recommendation.

There are ways to address and potentially fix a repository corruption. Please refer to the following articles for guidance:

If you are able to fix the corruption following the described actions, you're fine.

Of not, you may have to follow one of the restore approaches as outlined in my initial response.

In addition to that, I would also recommend to perform an analysis to see if you can find the root cause for the corruption to avoid similar situations in the future.

Hope that help!

Level 3
*ERROR* [FelixStartLevel] org.apache.jackrabbit.oak-core [org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService(49)] The activate m ethod has thrown an exception (org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNotFoundException: Segment 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 not found) org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNotFoundException: Segment 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 not found

Level 3
*ERROR* [qtp1588895822-47] org.apache.sling.engine.impl.SlingHttpContext handleSecurity: AuthenticationSupport service missing. Cannot authenti cate request. 01.07.2021 09:53:05.997 *ERROR* [qtp1588895822-47] org.apache.sling.engine.impl.SlingHttpContext handleSecurity: Possible reason is missing Repository service. Check A uthenticationSupport dependencies.

Employee Advisor

Hi @akank_23!

The second error about AuthenticationSupport is caused by the first one about missing segments.You can ignore that one for the moment and focus on fixing the repository issue. So you should check if the linked KB articles help you resolving the segment store corruption.

If that does not help, you will need to follow the restore approach.

Have you already been able to identify the cause for the repository corruption?

Have any files been deleted on the file system?