Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Required Java knowledge for AEM 6.5

Level 5

Hello everyone,

I'm really new to AEM and to master it, I've to be a master in Java first. I'm good with basics like looping and programming logics but not with the advanced topics. So, please suggest me that how much Java should I be knowing that I can easily create a component. And if possible, do tell me that from where should I learn it.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

HI @nikita24tailor,

Great that you are wanting to learn AEM!

AEM is a Web content management tool based on many technologies (like Java, javascript, CSS, angular, react, etc). Learning any of the supported languages is one's own choice.

Coming to your question on java topics, please go through

• Core Java (OOPS concepts and all other basics)
  • Advance java (J2EE, servlets etc)

Kindly note that AEM is an application built on top of java, so you would see many new concepts (like the apache sling framework). start working on weekend tutorial to get familiarized with those topics : https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/getting-started-wknd-tutorial-devel...

Happy learning!

Thanks,

Kiran Vedantam

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @nikita24tailor 

Do go through OOPs obviously, Collections, core java etc. Probably you'll need a lot of learning to do.

You'll get to learn about Java in any learning portals like Udemy, LinkedIn, etc. Do find a platforms where you can practice and learn, not just see videos.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/foundation/development/understand-j...

Level 2

Thanks but wanted to know in more detail because I've gone through a udemy course, got some videos from youtube too. But when I go for understanding the java files in AEM, I'm unable to do that.

Community Advisor

That is because the base of AEM is based on OSGI and SLING. So the concepts and terminologies might be different. Excepts for specific OSGI or SLING based APIs everything else is normal Java. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

HI @nikita24tailor,

Great that you are wanting to learn AEM!

AEM is a Web content management tool based on many technologies (like Java, javascript, CSS, angular, react, etc). Learning any of the supported languages is one's own choice.

Coming to your question on java topics, please go through

• Core Java (OOPS concepts and all other basics)
  • Advance java (J2EE, servlets etc)

Kindly note that AEM is an application built on top of java, so you would see many new concepts (like the apache sling framework). start working on weekend tutorial to get familiarized with those topics : https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/getting-started-wknd-tutorial-devel...

Happy learning!

Thanks,

Kiran Vedantam

Community Advisor

@nikita24tailor Welcome to AEM. As @Kiran_Vedantam mentioned AEM is an application developed on different technology stack. So to be good with backend you surely need to learn Java , but you don't have to be a master in it yet. Slowly but steadily you can learn and reach there. Said that, to develop simple components , you need not be a master in Java. You just need to know how to create dialogs and components. I would say register for a FE Developer and BE Developer training in AEM in Solutions Portal . Check with your organization for the access to the Solutions Portal. Start with simple components and slowly learn all the other concepts.