Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Multi Site manager with multiple parent sites

Level 2

Hi there,

we are designing a new website (abc.com) which needs to provide multi language capabilities as well as share some content with another unrelated website (xyz.com), both running on CQ5.

The current idea is that we would use Multi Site Manager for both requirements. So we would set up a blueprint (master site) for abc.com with multiple live copies for the different languages. The users would never directly access the blueprint but only the individual language specific live copies.

For content sharing with xyz.com, it has been suggested to also use MSM, but just for the pages in question. As I am not an expert on CQ5 and/or MSM, I would like to know the following:

1. Is it possible for one site (consisting of multiple pages) to refer to multiple blueprints ? My understanding is that this is possible as long as no single asset (i.e. page) refers to more than one bluprint. So page 1 in abc.com/en-us could be a livecopy of the master blueprint of abc.com while page abc.com/common/sharedpage could be shared copy of xyz.com/common/sharedpage

2. How would this work if the shared page (xyz.com is the blueprint) is also available in different languages ? So of course, I would want to have the shared page to use the same language as the rest of abc.com. The shared pages are already translated in xyz.com, so ideally, I would use those localised versions as my blueprint. Is it possible to use a livecopy in one site as the blueprint for another site (xyz.com --> xyz.com/en-us --> abc.com/en-us). If I used xyz.com instead as the blueprint, I would have to maintain translations in two different sites (abc.com/en-us and xyz.com/en-us)

Hope my questions are clear

thx a lot Nick

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

hi Nick,

Here are the docs for multi site manger --  specifically the part about creating blueprints and livecopies: https://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/administering/multi_site_manager.html#Creating%20Blueprints%2...

1. One site can be constructed from multiple blueprints I suppose, as long as each live-copied page has only one source page. You can create a live copy of either a blueprint or of any page. The difference is that the blueprint enables you to centrally control rollouts to each livecopy.

2. To create a blueprint, the site needs to be structured in a specific way: the root page has child pages for each language. So, you can't create a blueprint of any page. You can, however, create a live copy of any page.

hope that helps

scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 8

hi Nick,

Here are the docs for multi site manger --  specifically the part about creating blueprints and livecopies: https://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/administering/multi_site_manager.html#Creating%20Blueprints%2...

1. One site can be constructed from multiple blueprints I suppose, as long as each live-copied page has only one source page. You can create a live copy of either a blueprint or of any page. The difference is that the blueprint enables you to centrally control rollouts to each livecopy.

2. To create a blueprint, the site needs to be structured in a specific way: the root page has child pages for each language. So, you can't create a blueprint of any page. You can, however, create a live copy of any page.

hope that helps

scott