Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Move content packages from 5.6 to 6

Level 4

Easy one for you guys: Can we take a content package (pages and assets) from a 5.6 instance, and upload/install it to a 6.0 instance?

sub-question: Can we set a replication agent from a 5.6 author instance to a 6.0 author instance? is this recommended or not?

If not, once the in-place upgrade is done, what's the best solution to sync content between the 2 versions during the time it takes for the go live on a 6.0?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

IN most cases - you can package up 5.6 and deploy to 6. The only thing to keep in mind is dependencies. If you depend on nodes that are part of 5.6 and not on 6 - there will be issues. But in most cases if you have content under /apps and /content - it will work. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi,

regarding the content packages: It depends on the content of these packages. If you just have nodes from below /content and maybe some /etc/designs, that should work. Given, that your old and your new application use the same layout and the new one understands the "old" resource types. Everything else can be troublesome. Do not put /apps and /libs from 5.6.1 to 6.0 without testing!

Replication between instances of different versions: Can work, but doesn't have to. IIRC the binary format hasn't changed, but there might be some subtle changes. Check it and consider the things I wrote about content packages, they apply here as well. While the transfer of content from 5.6.1 to 6.0 via content packages is not discouraged, I do not recommend replication from 5.6.1 to 6.0. I doubt that this is documented, so you at least lack support for this procedure (plus any negative consequence ...)

kind regards,
Jörg

Correct answer by
Level 10

IN most cases - you can package up 5.6 and deploy to 6. The only thing to keep in mind is dependencies. If you depend on nodes that are part of 5.6 and not on 6 - there will be issues. But in most cases if you have content under /apps and /content - it will work.