Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Missing Configuration/Setting to allow new XF Templates in my Project

Level 3

I've been rewalking through all the online Template Editor and Experience Fragment (XF) documentation but I must be missing something because I can't seem to make a new XF Template, that is stored under my own project show up properly in the interface for use.

I can take the same template and copy it under the We.Retail project and it shows up just fine after I rename it, but as soon as I move it into my own project it won't show up.  I've tried this with a copy of the We.Retail example XF Fragment Template as well as with one of the base ones from AEM 6.3 under libs.

So my assumption is that there is a configuration setting somewhere for my project which I'm missing that will allow this new XF Template to show up in my project.

Thoughts?

AEM Version - 6.3.2.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

After talking to an internal person - they stated --

I believe it is the cq:allowedTemplates property on /content/experience-fragments node that drives the availability of XF variations:

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Level 10

You are having an issue at placing an Experience Fragment in a page that is based on an editable template

Level 3

No.  What I'd like to do is create a new Experience Fragment Template/Variation for my application.  So when I create a new XF I can pick my Variant after entering the title.

Right now when I create my XF and enter a title then continue to the First Variant screen there is the We.Retail Web Variation variant, along with an HTML 5, Pinterest and Facebook variants.

So how can I create my own variants and place them in my own applications folder structure so they're part of that application code base and not part of We.Retail.

Community Advisor

Hi,

We-retail templates are created at /conf/we-retail/settings/wcm/templates using /conf/we-retail/settings/wcm/template-types/empty-page template type.

For your own project you need to create template type and from template type you can create as many template as you want using template editor.

Check AEM Developer Learning : Dynamic (Editable) Templates in AEM 6.3 : Part-1  for creating template type and templates.

Note : XF and Page templates are created in a similar way.

Arun Patidar

Level 10

Once you create an editable template and an Experience Fragment, you can set a policy in your editable template so that Experience Fragments are able to be used in an AEM page that are created from the editable template.  I will demo this in a video.

To learn how to build a site based on an editable template - see this AEM community article. Adobe Experience Manager Help | Creating an Adobe Experience Manager 6.4 website using Editable Temp...

Level 10

The following video shows how to use an AEM  Experience Fragment within a page based on an editable template.

Level 3

Thank you for the video but that's not what I was asking about.  That shows how to use an Experience Fragment on a template which isn't the problem.

How do you create a new Experience Fragment Template Variation?  Here's the flow through the UI to help try to explain this better.

1. Log into AEM

2. Go to Navigation > Experience Fragments

3. Create a folder, or go into an existing folder.

4. Create > Experience Fragment

5. Enter a Title for the fragment

6. On the next screen listed as First Variant there are a variety of options for example (Experience Fragment - Web Template (from libs), Experience Fragment Template Facebook (from libs), Experience Fragment Template Pinterest (from libs), Experience Fragment Web Variation (from Web.Retail).

What I would like to be able to do for #6 is have a new Experience Fragment Variant, that is created under my application (not libs or We.Retail) be available as the first variant for my new Experience Fragment.

I've tried to accomplish this by copying some of these samples from either We.Retail or /libs into my project, renaming them to identify them as new and try to create a new Experience Fragment.  My new templates never show up as options.  If I take the same new templates and copy them under We.Retail into the correct /conf folder they show right up.

So what I need to know is why will these new Experience Fragment Variant Templates show up as options when placed under We.Retail but not my own AEM application?

Level 10

From your initial question - it seemed like you were having issue with using an Experience Fragment in your own project (AEM Site). This of course is solved by allowing the Experience Fragment component to be set in the policy of the editable template (assuming the page is based on the Editable Template).

So you are looking at HOW TO CREATE A NEW EX Variant to appear here:

EF11.png

Correct answer by
Level 10

After talking to an internal person - they stated --

I believe it is the cq:allowedTemplates property on /content/experience-fragments node that drives the availability of XF variations:

Level 3

Yes! Thank you that's it.  So is there some section within the UI that this should be changed like a Configuration setting, or is this a manual update that would need to be made on that /content/experience-fragments on the Authoring server via CRXDE?

Level 10

Looks like a manual update. There is no mention of this in the docs - i had to talk to many ppl to find this. I will log a doc bug to get this into the docs.

Level 2

Hi Thomas,

For this you need to create template type based on which you will create template.

Now once you are done with template creation edit you template policies to allow components in your xf page.

Then go to templates console(Tools->general->templates) and enable your template. If its in draft status you will not see your template to create XF.

Once you have enabled template, you can see it to create XF.

Hope this helps you!