Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Migrating to Cloud Manager (with AMS) what to do with /etc

Level 7

hi guys,

I'm doing  the above migration (we have 6.5)  and I have moved the /etc/clientlibs to the ui.apps as required.

I have a bunch of other custom stuff in a directory called /etc/<our site> 

These are some "Pages" that contain configuration used by some of our components i.e. not ordinary pages for Editors to use. Also some files used by the robots/sitemap etc

My question is :

Is it o.k. to leave them in /etc/ ?   I know that Adobe seems to be encouraging people to stop making /etc a catch-all place for random stuff.

I don't want to move them to /content because they mess up the sites page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fiona

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Try keeping them under apps/urproject folder.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Community Advisor

@fionas76543059 i think it is ok to keep stuff in /etc untill they are identified by Adobe to be moved to a different location such as clientlibs, designs to /apps, workflows to /conf etc.

Level 7
Thanks for your swift response ! Ankur sugged to put them under apps so I'll try that.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Try keeping them under apps/urproject folder.

Level 4

For customers with existing code bases, it is critical to go through the repository restructuring exercise described in AEM documentation to ensure that content formerly under the /etc is moved to the right location.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/implementing/deploying/over...

-Praveen

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I would not move stuff to /apps, because that's normally read-only and not writeable (except for administrator group by default); in AEM as a Cloud Service it's not writable at all during runtime.

If your configuration is supposed to be changed during runtime I would store it either in /content or /conf.

Employee Advisor
We tried moving the component design dialog stuff to /conf but it didn't work. We have not yet migrated to editable templates yet and therefore we will have to continue with the design dialogs. Also, if we keep the design in /etc then how we can activate the design as there is no miscadmin UI and I could not find any Touch UI equivalent.

Level 7
Thanks Jorg. In fact, we don't change them during runtime. Mostly they are internal lists and a few email templates, robot files etc. and a page of "paths" - servlet resource type mappings. Maybe it was originally thought that they would be changed on-the-fly. They all have primary types cqPaths, but don't really render. I will try putting them in /apps and see how I get on.!

Level 7
Hi Kunal, We also don't have editable templates. In the JCR, they are stored in /etc/designs. However we don't have them in the source code as the end customers can change them. (via the Design mode in the pages.)

Level 7
Hi Kunal, Just to clarify, I mean the designs are stored in /etc/designs and they are not kept in our code base/source control

Level 7
hi folks, I moved some stuff from /etc/ to /conf. It is a "Page" with nodes of resourceType of various servlets. However, although the servlets are called fine in Author, in publish there are 404s.

Level 7
I added the /conf/... path to SlingAuthenticator sling.auth.requirements parameter with a "-" in front . Didn't seem to help though.

Level 7
If I explicitly give read permission to anonymous to the page in /conf, it does seem to work. I am not sure how the SlingAuthenticator fits in, I'll try throwing it away and see if makes a difference.