Expand my Community achievements bar.

Launches vs. Live Copy - Best Practices?

Level 2

I'm working with a client who is opposed to using Launches to update  and publish future content. Instead they are creating a Live Copy of an entire site, then after editing a page (and breaking inheritance), they are manually copying/pasting the changed pages in the Live Copy to overwrite the original page in the Blueprint site because "Adobe doesn't recommend using Launches". 

Can you confirm: What is the Adobe-recommended approach for updating pages in a site that must first be reviewed and approved by legal teams before publishing?  Are Launches truly not Adobe-supported?   The current method seems quite dangerous, prone to human error, and more costly in terms of time and the required resources to promote the new pages.

Thoughts?

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

I wonder, why Adobe supports Launches as part of AEM (it's shipped and documented), but does not recommend to use it ... Can you ask for details of their source for this information?

There are cases where the MSM is of course the better solution, but in the end you should know that Launches is based on MSM.

Jörg

Level 9

Hi Brad,

First of all, Any solution would be error-prone because it is CMS and authoring is done by the humans. However, there is a good practice to avoid more human errors.

Content authoring & publishing should never be done by canceling inheritance & in live copy pages. Every application should have a blueprint of pages. And Live copy should be created out of the blueprint.  The blueprint works like a source of the pages.

To publish pages, Activation workflow should start from the blueprint and after pages review is done by the peer, the same changes should be rolled out to live copy and publish them.

That is how it should.

I hope this helps.