Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How do I create a Sling model using both a Resource and SlingHttpServletRequest?

Level 5

Hey guys,

I need to initialize a sling model for component B from inside component A. I have access to a sling Resource object for component B and a SlingHttpServletRequest for component A.

So I can easily do:

ComponentB componentB = resourceForComponentB.adaptTo(ComponentB.class);

But the @PostConstruct initializer for ComponentB uses a SlingHttpServletRequest (up until now, it had only been adapted via request). How do I initialize the @SlingObject request so that the @PostConstruct for ComponentB will be able to execute (without a null pointer exception).

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi,

I think that you just need to define an adapter strategy like the following snippet:

@Model(adaptables = {SlingHttpServletRequest.class, Resource.class}, defaultInjectionStrategy = DefaultInjectionStrategy.OPTIONAL)

Thanks,

Antonio

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

You can't.

In the case you mentioned it's actually the programmer's fault to let the model declare that the model can be initialized by a resource only if a proper Request object is required to make the @PostConstruct work.

Correct answer by
Level 7

Hi,

I think that you just need to define an adapter strategy like the following snippet:

@Model(adaptables = {SlingHttpServletRequest.class, Resource.class}, defaultInjectionStrategy = DefaultInjectionStrategy.OPTIONAL)

Thanks,

Antonio

Level 5

I did that. I managed to get done what I needed by refactoring the initialization but I was wondering if there was a way to initialize using both the request and the resource. I guess there isn't.

Thanks!

Employee Advisor

If you want to adapt a SlingModel from both Request and Resource, make sure that you don't use data from the request, but only from the resource.

Because in both cases, the Resource is always present (in case of the request: request.getResource()), and just relying on that gives the model the most flexibility.

Jörg