Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Dispatcher Flush not invalidating cache

Level 2

Hi there

I'm having a problem with the cache invalidation on our dispatcher server. When I change the cropping of an image in one of our pages and then activate it, the image won't show the new cropped style on the website. However, if I modify the text next to it, it will update the the text, but the image still won't change.

I have enabled the debug mode of the dispatcher module, and this is what I can see in the log:

[Fri Aug 29 10:01:28 2014] [I] [3372(1120)] "GET /corpsite/corp/de/dealer/dealername/offers/_jcr_content/contentPar/our_offers/accordionPar/offercomponent/image-100-100.png" 0 - 0ms [Fri Aug 29 10:01:28 2014] [D] [3372(1852)] Found farm website for www.company.com [Fri Aug 29 10:01:28 2014] [D] [3372(1852)] checking [/corpsite/corp/de/_jcr_content/configI18N/Image.internet.spooler.image.internet.png] [Fri Aug 29 10:01:28 2014] [D] [3372(1852)] cache-action for [/corpsite/corp/de/_jcr_content/configI18N/Image.internet.spooler.image.internet.png]: SPOOL [Fri Aug 29 10:01:28 2014] [D] [3372(1852)] request declined

According to Adobe "request declined" means that the dispatcher decided to not invalidate the cache (the codes listed there don't match with my SPOOL code however).

This is my dispatcher configuration in the httpd.conf

DispatcherConfig conf/dispatcher.any DispatcherLog    logs/dispatcher.log DispatcherLogLevel 3 DispatcherNoServerHeader 0 DispatcherDeclineRoot 0 DispatcherUseProcessedURL 1 DispatcherPassError 1 SetHandler dispatcher-handler

Do you have any idea what might cause this problem?

Thanks alot!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Verify the filter and invalidate section of dispatcher.any file and also make sure you have followed http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/HowToFlushAssetsPublish.html

Cropping of images just update the property in pages. If you hit publish instance are you seeing the changes?

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Verify the filter and invalidate section of dispatcher.any file and also make sure you have followed http://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/HowToFlushAssetsPublish.html

Cropping of images just update the property in pages. If you hit publish instance are you seeing the changes?

Level 2

Hi Sham

The dispatcher.any was indeed the problem. Turns out, only .html pages were configured to be flushed, I'll change the invalidate section accordingly.

Thank you :)

Ahatius

Level 2

I've just got a quick question regarding my configuration, since I'm not sure if this is a proper way of doing it. For example, I've added a wildcard entry for .png invalidation. Since the default dispatcher.any only has .html allowed for invalidation, I'm not sure if this should even be required to do (or if it's a bad idea to do something like that) or if it might have to do with the code we use in our CQ environment.

/invalidate { /0000 { /glob "*" /type "deny" } /0001 { /glob "*.html" /type "allow" } /0002 { /glob "*.png" /type "allow" } }

Employee Advisor

In that case you will invalidate .html and .png files. I don't really understand why you would invalidate PNG files when a page has changed (do you render page titles as images?), but it's valid to do so :-)

Jörg

Level 2

Hi Jörg

Well the reason why I did this was because one user reported that he changed an image on a page and activated it. So far so good, the image was automatically published to the internet.

What didn't get published to the internet, was the changed cropping of the image (it was replicated to the publish instances though, the dispatcher wouldn't invalidate it for some reason). The image itself wasn't referenced from the DAM but uploaded directly into that component (it's a few level nodes further down of the actual activated page).

Is there some explanation why it is this way? Adding *.png to the invalidate section resolves the problem, but it doesn't make actual sense to me since changing the image entirely (with the *.png entry not in place) will also cause the dispatcher to flush the cache, but it won't for a cropped image.