Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Changing clustering from Shared Journal to Shared Nothing, Possible?

Level 3

We are looking to cluster our CQ5.3 Author instance. By default this comes configured to cluster with the Journal Shared. We have recently upgraded the CRX to 2.2 which allows for Shared Nothing clustering. I have had a look into this and there doesn't appear to be a way to "switch" the type of clustering easily. I tried removing clustering altogether on a test instance, by removing the Cluster entry in the repository.xml, and this just ends up corrupting the instance. It seems you have to have clustering running for CQ just to work correctly.

It seems that CQ has to built with new type of clustering from scratch, ie CQ5.4+. Is there a way around this?

We do intend in the future to upgrade to CQ5.6 so may have to add this to part of the migration.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Rich_Clem wrote...

Hi Jörg

.We do have the latest CRX2.2 which supports Shared Nothing clustering. But it appears when you "install" CQ5.3 it builds itself with the old type of clustering, and even though the new version is available, it doesnt appear to be possible to migrate to this in situ. I was just wondering if any one had a easy trick to doing this. We certainly would like to move to a later version of AEM, but this is not an easy process for us.

TBH I cannot get the shared journal form of clustering working either. Im wondering if the CRX upgrade has broken this :-(

Need additional steps. Follow https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/upgradeSharedNothingClustering.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Well, it should be doable also with CRX 5.3, as all changes happen within CRX. So you can take the documentation of CQ 5.4 and perform the changes in the repository.xml to setup a shared nothing cluster.

But please consider, that CQ 5.3 is quite old and the support status is ... questionable (I don't know the nasty details, but AFAIK it's already end-of-life from a support perspective, unless you made some special contracts), so I don't know if it makes sense to spend so much time on it. And as a second point, make sure, that you get the most recent version of CRX 2.2.

Personally I would recommend that you spend your efforts on upgrading and not on extending your platform on this version.

Jörg

Level 3

Hi Jörg

.We do have the latest CRX2.2 which supports Shared Nothing clustering. But it appears when you "install" CQ5.3 it builds itself with the old type of clustering, and even though the new version is available, it doesnt appear to be possible to migrate to this in situ. I was just wondering if any one had a easy trick to doing this. We certainly would like to move to a later version of AEM, but this is not an easy process for us.

TBH I cannot get the shared journal form of clustering working either. Im wondering if the CRX upgrade has broken this :-(

Correct answer by
Level 10

Rich_Clem wrote...

Hi Jörg

Need additional steps. Follow https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/upgradeSharedNothingClustering.html

Level 3

We are quite aware that CQ5.3 is EOL. Your answer is hardly useful.

Level 3

Thats Brrilliant, exactly what I needed, really appreciated, Thanks Sham HC