Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applications for the 2024-2025 Adobe Experience Manager Champion Program are open!
SOLVED

Blue Green Deployment on AMS . what exactly happens to the loggedIN users during the switch

Level 8

Hi All,

We are working on implementing blue green deployment for our project and we do have sticky session and logged IN users with AEM. The query we have is during the cutover from blue to green servers what will happen to the users that are logged in and registered with the blue servers. 

Will they have to Re login to establish the session back or is there a way we can map them on the new servers. In case if any one faced similar issue any suggestions or insights will be helpful .

Thanks,

Sherin 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Here are my two cents:

• It appears that you could potentially configure Apache to use sticky connections by URL. This way, theoretically, you won't lose the session after a deployment. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth considering. Here are some examples:

• Plan to deploy during off-peak or low-traffic hours. Although this may seem obvious, it's possible that the traffic is so low that this behavior is acceptable. Therefore, it's worth checking.

I would appreciate hearing back about the solution you ultimately choose for this scenario.

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Here are my two cents:

• It appears that you could potentially configure Apache to use sticky connections by URL. This way, theoretically, you won't lose the session after a deployment. I haven't tried it myself, but it's worth considering. Here are some examples:

• Plan to deploy during off-peak or low-traffic hours. Although this may seem obvious, it's possible that the traffic is so low that this behavior is acceptable. Therefore, it's worth checking.

I would appreciate hearing back about the solution you ultimately choose for this scenario.

Esteban Bustamante

Level 8

Thanks @EstebanBustamante 

We will talk about the same with consulting also and will share the feedback once I have the final approach .

Community Advisor

Hi @sherinregi 
What kind of Authentication/Authentication you are using , AEM based CUG? or do you have external IDP/SSO etc?

In case of SSO, If session is not found in AEM, it will establish automatically.

Since blue green setup switch the instance when you go live, so technically there won't be any AEM session for the user.

Arun Patidar

Level 8

hi @arunpatidar 

We have external authentication using IDP/SAML , and in this case the user browser will have information that the user has already established AEM session and the login token will also be present there. So when we switch to the new instance what will happen to the login token and the validity

Community Advisor

Are you not checking the session expiry with every request? I meant for the protected page, every page request must go to the AEM, where session can be validated?

Arun Patidar

Level 8

@arunpatidar  that's correct we check on the request ,so the confusing part is after the switch the session will be valid and it will establish automatically without user relogging again.

Administrator

@sherinregi Do you find the suggestions from users useful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. 

Kautuk Sahni