Expand my Community achievements bar.

Are long tag taxonomy paths necessary to keep for individual assets?

Level 2

Is it necessary/advised to include the long taxonomy string of multiple tags leading to the final chosen tag for a particular asset? Is there any impact to search if all are deleted except the desired specific tag?

5 Replies

Level 4

Hi @CynthiaCo ,

Do you mean tags at deep multi - level for example - /content/cq:tags/<brand>/<level1>/<level2>/ ... so on ? If yes, then if you search for an assets at a shallow level ,say level2 but you have tags till level5, then the query will return a lot of assets, which can lead to slow queries.

Not clear about your second question though.

Level 2

Thanks, anupampat. My second question was if I delete the string of multiple higher-level tags that were necessary to reach the specific tag that I desire, will it have any impact on a search if those higher-level tags are removed? It sounds like what you're saying is that those higher-level taxonomy tags can bog down a search because the results are going to reflect every single tag. For example: location, building, department, office of admissions, are the tags. Is it best to remove everything except 'office of admissions' if that's what I want to associate with the asset?

Level 4

So, the deeper you query the tags, the result becomes more accurate and the query becomes faster. You simply cannot delete the tags in between location & office of admission unless you don’t use them anywhere else in system. Tags are structured around business requirements similar to how you structure your pages or assets folders. Its best to remove unnecessary levels of tags. Hope it helps.

Level 6

Hi @CynthiaCo 

If you have a deep multi-level taxonomy (e.g., /content/cq:tags/<brand>/<level1>/<level2>/… and so on), it can potentially slow down queries if you’re searching at a shallow level. This is because the query would return all assets tagged at deeper levels as well.

If you delete the higher-level tags leading to a specific tag, it could impact search results. Search results would reflect every single tag. So, if you remove everything except ‘office of admissions’, only assets specifically tagged with ‘office of admissions’ would appear in the search results.

However, you cannot delete the tags in between ‘location’ and ‘office of admission’ unless they’re not used anywhere else in the system. Tags are structured around business requirements, similar to how you structure your pages or assets folders. It’s best to remove unnecessary levels of tags.

So, it’s not necessary to include the long taxonomy string of multiple tags leading to the final chosen tag for a particular asset, but it’s advised if you want to maintain the hierarchical relationship between tags. If you only want to associate the asset with ‘office of admissions’, you could consider flattening your tag structure or using a different tagging strategy that better suits your needs.

Administrator

@CynthiaCo Did you find the suggestions from users helpful? Please let us know if more information is required. Otherwise, please mark the answer as correct for posterity. If you have found out solution yourself, please share it with the community.

Kautuk Sahni