Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEM6.5 Installation at Unix Env

Level 5

Hi Team,

Kindly help me what Best Practices must follow while readiness of  new environments Dev  ,QA ,Stage & Production (Where adobe is not engaged for installation of AEM Product ,more over i had development background had experience local setup not in Unix environments  ) Because once installed later changes may be difficult .
1) unpack the the jar  then run the start.sh script (/bin) 

2) command line with no content option for production Instance 

I am using following run modes while installing , Is this correct ?

Dev

java -jar aem-author-p4502.jar -r author,dev,samplecontent

java -jar aem-publish-p4503.jar -r publish,dev,samplecontent

QA

java -jar aem-author-p4502.jar -r author,qa,samplecontent

java -jar aem-publish-p4503.jar -r publish,qa,samplecontent

Stage 

java -jar aem-author-p4502.jar -r author,stg,samplecontent

java -jar aem-publish-p4503.jar -r publish,stg,samplecontent

Production  

java -jar aem-author-p4502.jar -r author,prod,nosamplecontent

java -jar aem-publish-p4503.jar -r publish,prod,nosamplecontent

I am confused about below syntax why they used as "us" , Because already mentioned publish and prod  

java -Xmx512m -jar cq-quickstart-6.4.jar -Dsling.run.modes=publish,prod,us

one More Question (Step 5)  : Is this means all author environment nosamplecontent i believe only advised for prod not lower environment right?  what mean by  "nosamplecontent" how to verify this 
 Currently  following below steps 

Step 1:  Open terminal

Step 2:  Rename jar file as cq5-author-p4502 (<anything>-<mode>-p<port number>.jar)

Step 3:  Use command java -jar cq5-author-p4502 -unpack

Step 4:  Once file unpacked go to crx-quickstart/bin folder

Step 5:  Open start script and make sure that CQ_RUNMODE='author, dev, qa, stage, prod,nosamplecontent'

Step 6:  start CQ using start script. Run command ./start

Step 7:  This is installed CQ as author on port 4502 on that server.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @varaande 

The run mode of an instance cannot be changed from author to publish, or vice versa, once an AEM instance has been installed. Some run modes, such as the author run mode and the publish run mode, are mutually exclusive. If both are specified, only the first run mode is used.

You can use customized run modes as well. They can differentiate instances by purpose, stage of development, or location. Within a development cycle, there can be separate environments for the stages of development. Common stages include development, staging, QA, and production. Run modes can be specified for different locations and facilities. 

For example:

sling.run.modes=author,test,uk

Thanks,

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

No sample content and primary run modes like author and publisher can’t be changed once installed but secondary run modes like dev, stage, can be changed anytime after the installation.

no sample content is recommended for production only and you can install on lower region with sample content.

sample content here refers wknd and we-retail content that comes by default with installation.

there are various ways to set the secondary run modes like with start command or sling.properties file.

you can check all the run modes configs from /system/console/status-slingsettings 

details here:https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-manager/run-modes-with-use-cases-i...

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @varaande 

The run mode of an instance cannot be changed from author to publish, or vice versa, once an AEM instance has been installed. Some run modes, such as the author run mode and the publish run mode, are mutually exclusive. If both are specified, only the first run mode is used.

You can use customized run modes as well. They can differentiate instances by purpose, stage of development, or location. Within a development cycle, there can be separate environments for the stages of development. Common stages include development, staging, QA, and production. Run modes can be specified for different locations and facilities. 

For example:

sling.run.modes=author,test,uk

Thanks,