Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM micro-optimization (part 1) | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

AEM micro-optimization (part 1) by Jörg Hoh

Abstract

As a followup on the previous article I want to show you, how a micro-optimization can look like. My colleague Miroslav Smiljanic found that there is a significant difference in the time it takes to compute these statements (1) and (2).

Node node = …
Session session = node.getSession();
String parentPath = node.getParent().getPath();

Node p1 = node.getParent(); // (1)
Node p2 = session.getNode(parentPath); // (2)

assertEquals(p1,p2);
He did the whole writeup in the context of a suggested improvement in Sling, and proved it with impressive numbers.

Is this change important? Just by itself it is not, because going the resource/node tree upwards is not that common compared to going downwards the tree. So replacing a single call might yield only in an improvement of a fraction of a milisecond, even if the case (2) is up to 200 times faster than (1)!

But if we can replace the code in all cases where the getParent() can be used with the performant getParent() call, especially in the lowlevel areas of AEM and Sling, all areas might benefit from it. And then we don’t execute it only once per page rendering, but maybe a hundred times. And then we might end up with tens of miliseconds of improvement already, for any request!

And in special usecases the effect might be even higher (for example if your code is constantly traversing the tree upwards).

Another example of such an micro-optimization, which is normally quite insignificant but can yield huge benefits in special cases can be found in SLING-10269, where I found that a built-in caching of the isResourceType() results reduces the rendering times of some special requests by 50%, because it is done thousands of times.

Read Full Blog

AEM micro-optimization (part 1)

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies