Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

AEM Editable templates demystified. | AEM Community Blog Seeding

Administrator

BlogImage.jpg

AEM Editable templates demystified. by Koen Van Eeghem

Abstract

During my five years implementing Adobe Experience Manager at Capgemini Belgium, I’ve seen a lot of new developers joining our ever-growing team. One of the topics that almost all of these developers had a problem with, was the editable templates in AEM.

There’s a few reasons why there’s so many people struggling with getting these editable templates right: there’s multiple locations to configure your template, you have those mysterious policies to worry about, … . Let’s start at the beginning: what does a template consist of?

What does a template consist of?
First of all, you have the three subfolders of your template: initial, policies and structure.

The template structure
In structure, you include all the immutable content of your template. Good examples of this are your header and footer experience fragment, your containers where editors can add content, … . When updating the structure of your template, all pages using that template will be impacted.

See that property editable on the responsivegrid? This means the editor can edit this component on pages created with this template. Whatever they edit will be only visible on the page itself, not on all pages with the same template — to add components to your responsivegrid, it of course needs to be editable. This property maps to the “locking” of components in the template editor itself.

Read Full Blog

AEM Editable templates demystified.

Q&A

Please use this thread to ask the related questions.

Kautuk Sahni
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies