Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.

AEM Configuration with Embedded Solr

Level 1

Hello,

Can someone let me know where I can find a more detailed documentation to Configuring AEM 6.x with an embedded SOLR server.

I have looked at the instructions in https://docs.adobe.com/content/docs/en/aem/6-0/deploy/upgrade/queries-and-indexing.html on this subject, but I cannot find more information on setting 'Solr home directory', 'Solr Core name' etc under Configuration Manager/...EmbeddedSolrServerConfigurationProvider.

Also, how can I verify if the embedded Solr server is up and running?

Thanks

Ash_Am

5 Replies

Level 10

This is the AEM docs on this subject: 

You can configure the embedded Solr server by:

• Search for "Oak Solr server provider".

• Press the edit button and in the following window set the server type to Embedded Solr in the drop-down list.

• Next, edit "Oak Solr embedded server configuration" and create a configuration. For more info on the configuration options, please visit the Apache Solr website.

NOTE

The Solr home directory (solr.home.path) configuration will look for a folder with the same name in the AEM installation folder.

• Open CRXDE and login as Admin.

• Add a node called solrlndex of type oak:QueryIndexDefinition under oak:index with the following properties:

• type:solr (of type String)
    • async:async (of type String)
    • reindex:true (of type Boolean)
  • Save the changes.

As specified in the above link. 

If you feel this need to be improved - please open a ticket here: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/marketing-cloud/experience-manager.html

Level 1

@smacdonald

Thanks for replying.

This is the guide I had been referring to. I would like to find out what parameters to enter in Oak Solr embedded server configuration. Specifically in the following fields - 'Solr home directory','Solr Core name' and 'Configuration Binding'.

Once done, how do I verify that Solr is up and running?

Thanks.

Level 10

I have logged a bug against the AEM docs. These types of questions should be addressed in the docs. 

I am getting people Adobe experienced with this to help you. 

Level 10

[1]

./aem61-author-p4555.jar
    ./crx-quickstart
    ./license.properties
    ./solr
    ./solr/oak
    ./solr/oak/conf
    ./solr/oak/conf/currency.xml
    ./solr/oak/conf/pt-synonyms.txt
    ./solr/oak/conf/schema.xml
    ./solr/oak/conf/solrconfig.xml
    ./solr/oak/core.properties
    ./solr/oak/data
    ./solr/oak/data/index/*
    ./solr/oak/data/tlog/*
    ./solr/solr.xml
    ./solr/zoo.cfg

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I am wondering, why you want to use the solr. As far as I was told, the embedded solr is only suitable for development setups. So before you plan to use solr, please validate with Daycare support.

The usecases, where using solr offers a real benefit are quite rare.

kind regards,
    Jörg