Expand my Community achievements bar.

smooth-scrolling pages display incorrectly in AEM Preflight

Level 1

We're moving our DPS content to AEM and find several errors when testing that we aren't able to fix. For example, in AEM Preflight on an iOS device, our long, smooth-scrolling articles don't scroll, they reduce to fit the entire long page in one window on the device. In DPS this happened, too, until you loaded the article in the Folio Builder. Lacking that, is there anything we can do to make a long page display properly?

Thanks!

Beth

7 Replies

Employee

When you export the document from InDesign make sure you check the "smooth scrolling" box in the export dialog. Here's a document that goes into some detail on smooth scrolling and dimensions (see section "Exporting article files"):

Create AEM Mobiles articles in InDesign

Level 1

Any idea why the "smooth scrolling" check box would NOT be allowed in a given InDesign export dialogue box?

I've tried a few times to:

A) make sure my page size was correct (1536 x 2048 px)
B) extending my page size beyond the frame (1536 x 3000 px)

C) switching from vertical to horizontal

Am I missing something?

Employee

Does your InDesign document include more than one page? That's the likely problem. Smooth scrolling articles can have only 1 page.

Level 1

1) My InDesign doc did include more than one page. Now removed and reduced down to 1 page.

2) I was able to check the "smooth scrolling" box in the (.article) export.

3) The entire page was scaled down to fit the vertical dimension (1536 x 4000 px). So that the page now only renders through the initial frame size. "Pinch to scale" makes the doc scale up, but only within the "scale to fit" dimensions that made the whole page fit vertically.

As a new user of this system, I am aware that I don't know everything about how to make it work, and there will be a learning process to get results – however, this seems like a simple process, and not being able to find a simple solution makes me really nervous about the purchase. I hope this can be resolved.

Employee

Ah, yes, you got snared by a slightly confusing feature. In the Export dialog box, you need to specify the target size of the article by choosing iPad or iPad Retina. Otherwise, the article size will have the same dimensions as your document and the whole article will fit on one page, even though it's set to Smooth Scrolling.

forum_export.png

It take a little while to come up to speed. While you're still learning the AEM Mobile workflow, feel free to post forum questions. We'll help you get up and running.

Level 1

Thanks Bob! That totally fixed the scrolling issue.

But I'm seeing a border between where the "pages" separate. So in the long page (2x retina height) there is a white border (a few pixels of white) between. Is this a setting that can be changed? Or do scrolling pages always have a border?

Employee

No, you shouldn't see a white border in a smooth scrolling article. That sounds like an old bug that was fixed a while ago. Can you make sure InDesign is up to date? (Choose Help > Updates.)