Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

In-App Purchases?

Level 4

Hi all - I have a quick question - do collections that are free need to be submitted to apple as in-app purchases before they are made available on the DPS Platform? What about collections that aren't free? Would a card be visible in the app itself if the collection hasn't been approved? I'm a little confused as to how this works. Also, if there is continuous content that is being fed into the app, like let's Fast Company's app - why doesn't it need to be updated on a daily basis? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

You only have to submit in-app purchases if you plan on selling the collection. Free collections don't require anything in the marketplace. Furthermore, unlike with the current version of DPS, even if we can't get pricing information for a collection we'll still show it to the reader and they can access the browse page and any free articles/metered articles (subject to the limit). If we can't show the article because of your access protection states we'll show a paywall, and it's only there that lack of an approved in-app purchase would cause problems (the reader wouldn't be able to buy it).

With regards to Fast Company, what do you mean by "why doesn't it need to be updated on a daily basis"?

Neil

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

You only have to submit in-app purchases if you plan on selling the collection. Free collections don't require anything in the marketplace. Furthermore, unlike with the current version of DPS, even if we can't get pricing information for a collection we'll still show it to the reader and they can access the browse page and any free articles/metered articles (subject to the limit). If we can't show the article because of your access protection states we'll show a paywall, and it's only there that lack of an approved in-app purchase would cause problems (the reader wouldn't be able to buy it).

With regards to Fast Company, what do you mean by "why doesn't it need to be updated on a daily basis"?

Neil

Level 4

In this context, A Folio = A Collection. A free Article does not need to be submitted to Apple/Android/Windows for review with the new DPS? That's very interesting. Of course, the app itself, even if it's free and all of the content in the app is free, still needs to be reviewed when it's submitted, correct? When I update content in the current version of DPS, an article within a Folio, I need to completely re-download that Folio. If I submit a new Folio to Apple, that Folio needs to be approved by Apple to go live. This doesn't seem to be the case with Fast Company as their Collection, Top Picks, changes every day.

Fast Company's content since it's free doesn't need to be approved by Apple. Is the Fast Company app the only app that's currently using DPS 2015? I would just love to see what the design is like for in-app purchases that cost.

Employee

Apple needs to approve each of your in-app purchases. They are not approving each individual piece of content. Even with the current DPS product we have customers who submit a year's worth of in-app purchase product IDs at one time, and then publish the folios that match those product IDs separately later in the year. There is no need to submit any article to Apple (or any other marketplace) for review. You can add/update/delete articles within collections as often as you want with no involvement from any marketplace. This is true with the current DPS product as well, although it's quite cumbersome to do so from a workflow perspective

Note that Fast Company's app is a proof of concept app, it does not run on DPS 2015.

Neil