Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Chrome Back Button

Level 5

Hi. Before the last release I remember see the collection name when a user would tap to reveal the chrome. Now when a user taps, just a back button shows up. Is there a way to change that button so that it goes back to the collection browse page as apposed to the last article or last view? It works like this in the Android viewer.

Thanks!

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

iOS standard behavior is for the label of the back button to truncate to "Back" if the label is too long. That may be why you are seeing this.

In addition, when a user navigates between articles in a collection the label will always be "Back". The primary reason for this was related to some assumptions about the length of article titles that led us to believe they would often get truncated to "Back."

ANdroid is different because there's a hardware button (always goes back to where the user tapped from) and a button in the Nav bar that goes "up" to the browse page (aka "parent" of the current view)

The next release of the iOS viewer will have some changes regarding the back button. Apple doesn't have a hardware button, gestures sort of take the place of that. The change we are making is to have bezel swipe always take the user "up" to the parent view (except at the top level, that brings up the menu).

We are also discussing additional design changes to handle multi-level navigation while maintaining simplicity in design (we want to avoid adding more and more navigation buttons to the view as the user navigates), plus additional linking behavior.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

iOS standard behavior is for the label of the back button to truncate to "Back" if the label is too long. That may be why you are seeing this.

In addition, when a user navigates between articles in a collection the label will always be "Back". The primary reason for this was related to some assumptions about the length of article titles that led us to believe they would often get truncated to "Back."

ANdroid is different because there's a hardware button (always goes back to where the user tapped from) and a button in the Nav bar that goes "up" to the browse page (aka "parent" of the current view)

The next release of the iOS viewer will have some changes regarding the back button. Apple doesn't have a hardware button, gestures sort of take the place of that. The change we are making is to have bezel swipe always take the user "up" to the parent view (except at the top level, that brings up the menu).

We are also discussing additional design changes to handle multi-level navigation while maintaining simplicity in design (we want to avoid adding more and more navigation buttons to the view as the user navigates), plus additional linking behavior.

Level 5

Thank you for this reply Nathan. It's exactly what I needed to pass onto managment to further their understanding of why some things work differently in other OSs.

I'm also looking forward to additional linking behavior. I have been asked by many in my organization why they can't navigate to collections.

Thanks again!

Jeff