Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Banner Resolution

Level 3

I was looking at the web view version of my app yesterday and noticed that banners are being rendered at a very low resolution. Maybe this is how it's always been, but I feel like I would have noticed it before now. Is there something that I need to change to fix this? They look terrible.

Here is the link to my app:

Web Viewer

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, the issue was resolved in the update last week. The team made more tweaks to their image fitting algorithm.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Employee

Zac, there were some changes a couple releases ago to optimize the images being loaded in web viewer. Prior to the changes the viewer was pulling in very large images, which led to slow loading times. Another forum poster mentioned this last week and the team is working on a fix for the next release:

Very low quality article images in Web Viewer

Level 4

Any idea what action we will need to take once the issue is corrected? Also when might the next release be.

Employee

You should not need to take any action after the fix is released, which will be next week.

Level 4

I was just notified that the new update was suppose to resolve this issue. So I refreshed my web app, rebuilt it, uploaded high res png for the two banner cards affected and its still blurry. Any other recommendations?

Level 4

Also, I just tried to create an completely new banner, new High res PNG, RGB, image and still publishes blurry on web app.

What else can i try?

Employee

Hey Steve, I just got back from vacation and saw your post. I'm checking with the devs on what might be happening here.

Level 4

Great! let me know what you find. I spent some time with a rep at gold support on Friday but it seemed the banner down sampling was reducing the image down to 320x320 for web-view. We tried different workaround with px size and proportions but it got pretty ugly. Also this seems to just be an issue with he banner card and perhaps only PNGs

Level 4

Perhaps we are getting closer to figuring out this bug. Seems to be a bug because these promotional adjustments are not required for another card or preview image Ive had to deal with.

I set up 4 test folders numbered 002-005 here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4S58WYZQRxUTHpuYzZoTUlLOTQ&usp=sharing

• What I'm noticing is if the proportions are square it down samples to 320dpi.
  • If its proportionally horizontal and high res it looks  good on web view but cropped on iPhone.
  • If its proportionally horizontal and lower res its not down sampled quite as much but looks a bit pixelated on web view.
  • If you can replicate on your end with my files it would be greatly appreciated.

If your results are the same as mine-My question is: Is this the way its supposed to perf

Employee

With the help from your files I believe I've identified some additional changes to the web viewer to match the mobile device viewer behavior. Basically, there's differences in the fitting algorithms that take into account aspect ratio of the source image file, which could lead to the fuzzy resolution. I don't have an ETA yet, but am keeping an eye on the issue internally.

Level 4

Thanks Nathan! your support is appreciated. Ill pick what we this is the lesser of the two evils for now and wait for an update.

Level 3

Looks like this has been resolved in a recent update.

Correct answer by
Employee

Yes, the issue was resolved in the update last week. The team made more tweaks to their image fitting algorithm.