Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Metadata Profile Inheritance

Level 3

When we apply a metadata profile to a child folder of a parent with a metadata profile we have to choose which profile to use. It doesn’t inherit the data down to the children. For example, we have a profile for Brand attached to the Brand folders. Then we have subfolders under those for the Lines of Business that have profiles attached to them. Ideally, I can create a profile for Brand and one for Line of Business. I’d like to apply the Brand profile to the Brand folder and then apply the Line of Business profile to the Line of Business folder and see the data collected from the Brand folder passed down to the Line of Business one. We have Brand and Line of Business folders in multiple places in our DAM so not being able to pass down the data collected is going to create a crazy amount of metadata profiles which will become very difficult to manage from an admin perspective. So I’m hoping there might be something existing at the moment or in the works that will allow us to pass the metadata down from parent to child while still allowing the child to apply a metadata profile. In layman’s terms, instead of inheriting metadata profiles from parent folders I’d just like to inherit the metadata (or at least have the choice between the 2).

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@dmescia2 The inheritance stops once you apply the metadata profile to the subfolder (LoB folder). You would like to see both the metadata populated from the Brand and LoB profile when you add an asset to LoB folder? i dont think thats possible if thats case since you are overriding it in the LoB folder.

From Adobe

When you assign a metadata profile to a folder, any subfolders automatically inherit the profile from its parent folder. The inheritance stops when a different profile is applied to a subfolder. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/manage/metad... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@dmescia2 The inheritance stops once you apply the metadata profile to the subfolder (LoB folder). You would like to see both the metadata populated from the Brand and LoB profile when you add an asset to LoB folder? i dont think thats possible if thats case since you are overriding it in the LoB folder.

From Adobe

When you assign a metadata profile to a folder, any subfolders automatically inherit the profile from its parent folder. The inheritance stops when a different profile is applied to a subfolder. 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/manage/metad... 

Community Advisor

@dmescia2 as Sarvanan correctly mentioned here about the logical application of profiles, the best practice for your org would be to decide on a taxonomy first. Onboard LoBs with a standard profile (that is common for all). If at a later stage something very unique has to come up - can be applied on subfolders. This is more of a governance practice carried by admins for business users and educate them properly to avoid chaos and too much of manual work later. 

Level 3

We have put the taxonomy together. The problem is that some of our brands have multiple lines of business. For example, our main brand has about 12 lines of business under it. Our structure currently separates them by lines of business. We also have multiple departments we have to tag as well. Each department is working on the same brands/lines of businesses. Our structure is set up as follows Department/Brand/LOB. In the current AEM setup I'll have to create LOB profiles for each department. With 6 current departments that's 6x the work I'd have to do if I we able to pass metadata applied by these profiles down to the children. Ideally I could create a profile for each department, each brand and each LOB, apply those to the appropriate folders and then have the metadata pass from parent to child.