Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM Assets: Upgrading Thumbnails!

Community Advisor

Hello dear Community, 
May i interest you in talking about upgrading the Thumbnails within the AEM Assets?
Such a simple thing can have a big impact on how the users navigate the system. 
This is such a fun topic (for me at least), so i wanted to share the approach, ask you guys some questions and hopefully receive a lot of interesting ideas as feedback.

We are already did some customization for our thumbnails and users love it.
Shoutout to @lukasz-m who was the first to point me in the right direction many moons ago.
Thank you very much! 
So we created overlay nodes for this property in apps.
/libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/contentrenderer/card/asset/propertyList.jsp
and then started to add stuff.

So i thought this might improve your users live as well.
Yet i feel like, there is more that i need to understand better. 
What better place than here to have a fruitful conversation than here?

What better place to start than the beginning?
Here we go!
We added additional status options. OOTB comes the green thumbs up for status:approved and a red thumbs down but we needed a few more than the system had. Adding more metadata was the easy part.
Now these additional options received their own icon. Making it easy to see if something is waiting for a librarian!
In case you are new to this topic and  would like to see the options - there is a list of coral icons you can choose from, in case you want to add something as well. https://developer.adobe.com/experience-manager/reference-materials/6-5/coral-ui/coralui3/Coral.Icon....
People were excited.
We even added additional Icons in different colors based of Terms of Service status.
We diferenciated between "Asset is Expired" and "Asset has expired subassets" (Red Flag / Yellow Flag)
Brilliant. Not only in the Thumbnail by the way - also in the search. Very useful.

Now that we dipped our toes in these waters - there are MANY more things we would like to add and i wanted to get a bit of your feedback on the topic. Now i - with my dangerous half-knowledge - see that the jsp gets some things from /libs/dam/gui/coral/components/admin/contentrenderer/base/base.jsp
And i would like to understand this a bit better.

Is it possible to create new requests based on ... custom metadata properties?
If so - could you display it as it is - or could you add a counter, a countdown counter... a icon based of cq:tags?
... would it be possible to change the color of the filename based of filetype?
For example PDFs are displayed in adobe red, and InDesign files in InDesign purple? 

Could we create a "Subasset Count" or the reverse "IsSubassetInThatManyFilesCount"?
Expiration will occur in X-Days - Icon - changing from green to yellow and final stage red - when prism:expirationDate is within the next 100 days, 50 days to 10 Days? 
Asset is subasset from sites vs is subasset from many InDesign files.
Asset is a LiveCopy.
Filename is displayed not in all-caps but instead case-sensitive? <- This could make an impact for users to avoid duplicate detection.
Asset is published to scene7 - published to brandportal - unpublished from scene7 but published to BP? - unpublished from BP but still published to scene7 - published to both - unpublished from both. This could be shown with two icons and different colors or with one icon color coded to all the states.

So many good things to think about.
Not enough knowledge on my part.

Do you have any good ideas how to expand the OOTB situation?
Do you have any answers regarding my missing knowledge?
Let me know, i am very interested to learning and hearing you good ideas.

Hope you are having a wonderful day.
See you in the comments section!

Adilos

0 Replies