Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why is the total orders not equal to device wise orders?

Level 3

The total orders says 47,923 but when I add mobile web, mobile app, and desktop visits the total orders come to 47,093. Is it because of segment overlap? I guess a few orders fall in both mobile app and web devices. How to prevent this and whats the best way to break down device wise?

gkrish12345_1-1694156841621.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Honestly, without understanding your implementation, this can always get a little interesting.  For instance, do you have cross-device tracking implemented (this only allows you to follow your users from mobile to web, and not the other way around).  The other thing I notice is the split you're doing between Mobile Web and Desktop.  That may be where you're seeing your duplication right there, because unless I'm mistaken, Mobile Web is just the responsive version of your Desktop environment, am I correct?  This is where you may be double dipping, and even your best efforts to keep the two separate may be working against you.

Right now, that's my best guess without knowing more.  Hope that helps.

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Honestly, without understanding your implementation, this can always get a little interesting.  For instance, do you have cross-device tracking implemented (this only allows you to follow your users from mobile to web, and not the other way around).  The other thing I notice is the split you're doing between Mobile Web and Desktop.  That may be where you're seeing your duplication right there, because unless I'm mistaken, Mobile Web is just the responsive version of your Desktop environment, am I correct?  This is where you may be double dipping, and even your best efforts to keep the two separate may be working against you.

Right now, that's my best guess without knowing more.  Hope that helps.

Jeff Bloomer

Community Advisor

It looks like there may be segment overlap... 

If your segments are based on "Visits" and you are passing the ECID from your app to your website, users could have been on both in the same visit...

I would consider making those segments HIT based, Then the actual Order hit will be only show against the specific platform in which the order was made...

Community Advisor

@gkrish12345 I'm thinking even with hit-based, there could be some funky things happening when you've got these kind of segments in play, because again desktop could also define a person who was technically in the mobile web environment if they are not careful with how cleanly they segment their data.  Of course, I'm really splitting hairs here, and since I am not familiar with what's going on with the implementation, everything is conjecture. 

Jeff Bloomer