Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Why can't I see eVar persist from hit to hit?

Level 3

I'm lead to believe that eVars persist (once set) until they are configured to expire. In some cases, expiration might be set to 'visit' - which I take to mean... once set, the value of that eVar will persist until the visit ends. 

While using the chrome extension 'Adobe Analytics Debugger', I can see the eVar having a value at the point it is set... but once I click away onto some other part of the site, I can no longer see the eVar and the value it was set to. I'm expecting to see it with every subsequent hit. Am I misinterpreting the textbook here?

There's probably a basic answer to this. Hoping someone can enlighten me 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @Michael_Wills,

If the eVar is set to persist across a visit, that will be recorded on Adobe's server and not displayed on all hits in 'Adobe Analytics Debugger'.

If you are interested to see how this works, you can pull out a data feed, and study the behavior of any visitor through the following columns eVarXX and post_eVarXX

For any hit by a visitor if you find the data present only in post_eVarXX column and not in eVarXX, it is mainly due to Persistence. The value that you see in Workspace Reports are derived from post_eVarXX columns.

Broadly, this is how the concept of persistence works. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 2

Hi @Michael_Wills ,

The eVar persistence happens on the Adobe Servers where the hits are processed. Hence, you would not see it in the debugger.

This is very briefly mentioned (not very clear as well) under the "How eVars work" section of the below article:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/evar.html?lang=en

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi @Michael_Wills,

If the eVar is set to persist across a visit, that will be recorded on Adobe's server and not displayed on all hits in 'Adobe Analytics Debugger'.

If you are interested to see how this works, you can pull out a data feed, and study the behavior of any visitor through the following columns eVarXX and post_eVarXX

For any hit by a visitor if you find the data present only in post_eVarXX column and not in eVarXX, it is mainly due to Persistence. The value that you see in Workspace Reports are derived from post_eVarXX columns.

Broadly, this is how the concept of persistence works.