Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Where does CID and ICMP stand for?

Level 2

Just out of curiosity: does anyone know where the abbreviation CID and ICMP stand for?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume that you're seeing these in URL query parameters.

Adobe Analytics doesn't dictate the query parameter to use for campaign tracking, both external (e.g. from paid search, social media, email, etc) nor internal (e.g. homepage banners, product promotions, etc). So organisations come up with their own query parameters to identify their campaign tracking codes.

"cid" is commonly used with external campaign tracking codes. You might also see "cmp" or even "campaign".

"icmp" is commonly used with internal campaign tracking codes (where the "i" stands for "internal"). You might also see "icid", maybe "icampaign", though I haven't seen the latter myself.

This should be documented with the organisation's Adobe Analytics implementation guide or Solution Design Reference (SDR). The marketing folks who prepare campaign URLs should also know about these query parameters.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I assume that you're seeing these in URL query parameters.

Adobe Analytics doesn't dictate the query parameter to use for campaign tracking, both external (e.g. from paid search, social media, email, etc) nor internal (e.g. homepage banners, product promotions, etc). So organisations come up with their own query parameters to identify their campaign tracking codes.

"cid" is commonly used with external campaign tracking codes. You might also see "cmp" or even "campaign".

"icmp" is commonly used with internal campaign tracking codes (where the "i" stands for "internal"). You might also see "icid", maybe "icampaign", though I haven't seen the latter myself.

This should be documented with the organisation's Adobe Analytics implementation guide or Solution Design Reference (SDR). The marketing folks who prepare campaign URLs should also know about these query parameters.

Level 2

Hi Yuhuisg,

Thanks for your respons. Yes, I know where it is been used for. However I was wondering where it exactly is standing for. For example “UTM” in Google Analytics stands for “Urchin Tracking Module.” 

Does CID mean 'Campaign ID'? And ICMP mean 'Internal CaMPaign'?

Community Advisor

Yeah, those are the most likely sources of the abbreviations. Honestly, I don't really think about their origins any more.