Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

What is the impact of changing an eVar's name only?

Level 2

We want to update the naming convention of all of our variables as it is causing confusion. Would there be a downstream impact if the name was changed?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

@YKK360 

Hello.  Changing the name of an Adobe variable, prop, event or eVar, has no impact on data collection.  Once you make the name change, any report / workspace project that was using that variable will also get the name change within the table or graph.  Any segment or calculated metric that is using the variable will also see an updated name within the respective builder tools, but the name of the Projects, Segments and Calculated Metric will NOT be updated.

I hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

@YKK360 

Hello.  Changing the name of an Adobe variable, prop, event or eVar, has no impact on data collection.  Once you make the name change, any report / workspace project that was using that variable will also get the name change within the table or graph.  Any segment or calculated metric that is using the variable will also see an updated name within the respective builder tools, but the name of the Projects, Segments and Calculated Metric will NOT be updated.

I hope that helps

Community Advisor

Data collection will not have an impact I think as you will send it to the variable keys lie eVar1 BUT it might and will impact some other features:

• Processing rules (check that processing rules do not through an error when name is changed)
  • Classification rule builder: this will definitively affect the rules as I have changed names before and the classification rule builder thrown an error

I would do the test on a mock report suite to be safe