Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

visitor tracking for new website for old website visitors

Level 2

Hi experts !

So here is an interesting situation i have run into - the client is building a new website( and so a new sitecatalyst implementation) but wants an accurate track of its visitors. To elaborate , he does not want to track visitors to the new website as new visitors if technically they have been to the old website but register as repeat visitors/increment visit number etc.

Can any one suggest a work around?

One way is to put the same SC code on the old site too..but i was thinking in the report suite configuration we have to mention the base url- does that confuse the tracking?

the new site is on the same domain (its a sub-domain)

Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

See : getNewRepeat . You can specify the number of days the cookie is valid for :

s.getNewRepeat has two optional arguments:

1. The first optional argument is the number of days that the cookie should last. The default value if this argument is omitted is 30 days.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

I'd recommend looking into the getNewRepeat plugin. As long as its referencing the same cookie between implementations, it will give your client exactly what they're looking for.

Level 8

Hi Ashmita,

The base URL field is not mandatory(as you can see in the UI when creating a new report suite) .

For this use case I'd suggest you go ahead with your approach and see the results in a dev report suite.

Do let us know in case you have any further queries.

Thanks

Nikhil

Level 2

The newRepeat plugin sets a 30day cookie window so not sure if that will work.

Correct answer by
Level 8

See : getNewRepeat . You can specify the number of days the cookie is valid for :

s.getNewRepeat has two optional arguments:

1. The first optional argument is the number of days that the cookie should last. The default value if this argument is omitted is 30 days.

Level 1

You can get list of visitor tracking tool like Hotjar, Crazyegg, ClickTale, Mouse flow, Visual Website Optimizer. You can follow the below, link to get the complete review of each of the mentioned tools.

http://www.toolsinsight.com/category/heatmap-and-visitor-tracking/uszNgYc=