Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Visit number differnce btw segments

Level 2

I discovered that there is a slight difference in visit numbers btw

case1) Made segment at a visit level and used visits metric to see the result

case2) Made segment at a hit level and used visits metric to see the result

The total number of visits is the same, but when I broke down those segments, there is a slight difference in visits number. Basically, I thought both logic would be the same, just had a difference in the timing of applying visit level. If you already had a similar problems, please share with me 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The difference is between the containers.  You used a VISIT container vs. a HIT container.  These are two very different kinds of segments.  If you consider the behavior associated with each, that is why you will see differences.

"A segment at the Visit level returns the page that meets the condition plus all other pages viewed as part of the visit session (and only constrained by defined date ranges). The Visit container is the most commonly used container because it captures behaviors for the entire visit session once the rule is met."
"The Hit container defines which page hits you would like to include or exclude from a segment. The Hit container is the most narrow of the containers available to let you identify specific clicks and page view where a condition is true."

If you go to the following link, it will explain all the differences.  In fact, there is a video there that walks you through everything!
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/seg-containers.html?lang=e... 

Jeff Bloomer

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Community Advisor

yes, this is very likely.

as you must have some condition in your both cases as well you must be seeing data against your dimension values and hence there is slight difference in visits number, when look at line item wise data. 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The difference is between the containers.  You used a VISIT container vs. a HIT container.  These are two very different kinds of segments.  If you consider the behavior associated with each, that is why you will see differences.

"A segment at the Visit level returns the page that meets the condition plus all other pages viewed as part of the visit session (and only constrained by defined date ranges). The Visit container is the most commonly used container because it captures behaviors for the entire visit session once the rule is met."
"The Hit container defines which page hits you would like to include or exclude from a segment. The Hit container is the most narrow of the containers available to let you identify specific clicks and page view where a condition is true."

If you go to the following link, it will explain all the differences.  In fact, there is a video there that walks you through everything!
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/segmentation/seg-containers.html?lang=e... 

Jeff Bloomer