Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Using Flow to track URL (dimension) with a form completion (metric) as an end goal

Level 3

I'm looking to use AA to track how many visitors who visited this specific page end up filling out a form on our website.

Can AA's Flow be used to track this? If not, are there any other possibilities to do this?

5 Replies

Community Advisor

You can use the flow.. but a better option might be the fallout report.

The flow report will show all the different paths that users took.. 

Fallout Report doesn't need to be every page in the flow... It can be set points... Point A... then eventually Point B.. then Action C, etc

Each point in the fallout is dependent on having hit the previous step (so they must hit Page A, before hitting Page B, and they must have hit Page A, then Page B, before performing Action C, etc

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/analysis-workspace/visualizations/fallout/...

So in your case, you would want to use Page A as your first step, maybe add in the Form Page in the middle (unless that was actually Page A?), then Form Completed as the last step.

Fallout reports can start from "All Visitors" or just start at "Page A" depending on what you want to represent. You can also configure this to show Visits or Visitors.

Good luck, and have fun visualizing

Level 3

Thanks, Jennifer for the suggestions.

Here is a follow up question which is a bit too much for my Adobe Analytics knowledge but here goes...

I followed your recommendation and used a Fallout chart and started with Page A as our first step then Action C (form completions which is a metric we use to track people who filled out a from on our website).

The next thing I'd like to solve is to see which form or page they last visited before completing Action C.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Community Advisor

No Problem... however, this extra "which form was used" doesn't really work so well in the fallout.. but you can create a Flow Diagram for that.

So this is where a Flow Diagram will come into play (which is sort of where you started....)

You can add your Form Completion (Action C) as the "Ends With", then it will ask you what Pathing Dimension you want to use (choose the best option to tell which form is which).

Now, the values from your Fallout and your Pathing may not match exactly (since these are different metrics - visits/visitors vs path views) but also, the flow currently is not constrained by Page A > Action C...

However, you can apply that though... on your last Fallout touchpoint, you can right click and create a segment from the touchpoint.. then use that segment on the panel (play around, try the flow with and without the segment to see the difference).

Hopefully the page immediately before the form completion is the form (it should be... but I don't know your site ) so you should be able to stick with 2 levels of flow. Again, play around, see what happens when you make minor changes.

Level 3

Hey Jennifer,

This sounds pretty advanced to me. Give me some time to work it out.

Community Advisor

Yes, take some time to play... the question and needs are pretty advanced, so the solution will be as well; and to have an effective report, you need to understand what is happened (or at least well enough to explain it / understand where there may be differences).