Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

User demographics and time spent on site

Level 2

Hi Team,

I have two questions about Adobe Analytics:

1. Google Analytics in it's universal version (and also in classic version using dc.js) offers information about user demeographic on your website (data is gathered from double click adserver I think). Anyway :) Is there a similar option in Adobe Analtycis? I've seen that there are these data connectors (kinda green in this department :) ) but I don't know if it's the same thing.

2. Got also question about how user time on the site is calculated? I mean does the user time on their last pageview is calculated correctly? Cause for example in GA this is a problem cause the system doesn't have any event happening to see if the user is still on site. So how does this work in Adobe Analytics?

Br.

PP

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi PP,

Let me try my best to answer your questions below:

Answer1: There are a few ways in which you can get User Demographics data in SiteCatalyst but there is always a thin line between a visitor demographics data and Personally Identifiable Information (PII). As per the official notification from AdobePress, "All analytics information is based on anonymous aggregation and Adobe SiteCatalyst does not endorse storage of PII".

you can That being said, we do have Visito demographics which lets us identify customers at zip code level. Zip-code can help you infer characteristics that are associated demographically with that particular zip-code.  This can let us target our marketing efforts locally and well optimized. Regarding the options like Data Connector  (previously know as, Genesis), is  primarily designed to integrate adobe supported 3rd party tools with adobe analayitcs. this will let us have our 3rd party tool data imported into Adobe Analytics for a holistic view.  

Answer2: Primarily, it leverages the server-call time-stamp for this. I would really appreciate if you could help me understand your question better, regarding time on last PV.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Harsh Kabra |  Adobe Certified Expert: Digital Analytics® & SiteCatalyst Implementation & Reporting®

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi PP,

Let me try my best to answer your questions below:

Answer1: There are a few ways in which you can get User Demographics data in SiteCatalyst but there is always a thin line between a visitor demographics data and Personally Identifiable Information (PII). As per the official notification from AdobePress, "All analytics information is based on anonymous aggregation and Adobe SiteCatalyst does not endorse storage of PII".

you can That being said, we do have Visito demographics which lets us identify customers at zip code level. Zip-code can help you infer characteristics that are associated demographically with that particular zip-code.  This can let us target our marketing efforts locally and well optimized. Regarding the options like Data Connector  (previously know as, Genesis), is  primarily designed to integrate adobe supported 3rd party tools with adobe analayitcs. this will let us have our 3rd party tool data imported into Adobe Analytics for a holistic view.  

Answer2: Primarily, it leverages the server-call time-stamp for this. I would really appreciate if you could help me understand your question better, regarding time on last PV.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Harsh Kabra |  Adobe Certified Expert: Digital Analytics® & SiteCatalyst Implementation & Reporting®

Level 2

Hi Harsh,

thank you one more time for answering my questions :) Regardin this topic:

Answer 1: Yes I'm aware about the PII (same with GA) and I don't want to track any of that. I would like to have an option just like GA offers to have a general overview of age and gender of my users. This doesn't have to be very precise. (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2799357?hl=en

So is there a way to get this data in Adobe Analytics through data connectors? I see that there's DoubleClick for Advertisers (DFA) as one of them. And as far as I remember this gender and age data is gathered in GA through informations from GDN (or something like this).

Answer 2: Ok this is what I mean. From what I've been told about Googla Analytics it measers time on the website through events that happen. So when you enter a website and then go to a subsection of that site (you click on some link) GA gets a "message" that your doing something on the website and it can count time that you've spent on the 1st page you have entered. But the problem is with your last page. Cause when you enter this and let's say leave after 5 minutes - GA doesn't have any information from server that you stayed on in for these 5 minutes. Cause there was no event or anything happening so that GA could see that your still on the site. I hope you know what I mean :)

And because of this - on one of my sites I use this special script for GA that checks every 10 seconds if user is on the site (it generates an event every 10 sek) - So the time spent on site is more accurate.

Br.

Paul