Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unique Visitor vs Hit segment for calculated metric

Level 1

Let me lay out the details of the is request obviously numbers will not be correct

What are we trying to do:

1. Capture total count of customer Id's

What we have done:

1. Select one week of data Let's say Oct 1-Oct 7

2. One segment we have unique visitors with customer ID

1605782_pastedImage_1.png

3. One segment we have hit with customer ID

1605783_pastedImage_2.png

4. We have created a calculated metric based on the segment

1605622_pastedImage_0.png

What we have seen when we put the metrics next too each other:

1. The calculated metric with the visitor container 15K total count of UV's.

2. The calculated metric with the hit container 13K total count of UV'S

3. The extra 2K go into the total, but don't have an ID

Our questions

1. Does this happen because the visitor segment piece has a look back window past the time frame we selected

2. What is the look back window 30 days, 90 days, 120 days, unlimited etc.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Unique visitors in a hit-level segment should simply equate to a hit-level segment. You can get more granular (visits within a unique visitor), but you can't get less granular (unique visitors within a hit). I believe you'll see similar results if you put page views instead of unique visitors in the calculated metric.

Lookback windows default to the beginning of the month in the selected date range, but I don't think they are related here (maybe they can be attributed to a small fraction, but not a 2K difference).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Unique visitors in a hit-level segment should simply equate to a hit-level segment. You can get more granular (visits within a unique visitor), but you can't get less granular (unique visitors within a hit). I believe you'll see similar results if you put page views instead of unique visitors in the calculated metric.

Lookback windows default to the beginning of the month in the selected date range, but I don't think they are related here (maybe they can be attributed to a small fraction, but not a 2K difference).