Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Spring 2015 Relase broke Ad Hoc In Serious Ways, Crippling Company Wide Reproting

Level 2

Adobe introduced the new calculated metric builder with the Spring 2015 release, which looks promising, but has completely crippled our current reporting (Provided company wide including C level)

• With the 2015 release - All of our  current calculated metrics are now broken
  • The calculated metric builder is completely different with no clear direction or tutorial of use in Ad Hoc
  • There was no communication to us directly on this release and how it would effect our workflow
  • None of our previous calculated metrics ( in the hundreds and across many reports/automated reports)  were ported over into the new system.
  • We can't fix our current calculated metrics in Ad Hoc by opening, fixing, and re-saving.
  • Before the release we were able to create a new calculated metric based on a current one, copy (via drag and drop), or save as, this no longer works. When using this method all the metrics pull the same number from the original calculated metric.
  • I  then rebuilt the calculated metrics for a key report, each one new through the new calculated metric builder,  it worked until I closed and re-opened the project today. When I re-pulled the data today all of the new calculated metrics are broken again, they all just show the same number.
  • I can no longer save a local copy of the Ad-Hoc file. When I do and re-open the project is blank.
  • The customer service and information on this release and fixes has been extremely sub-par, the Adobe client care team doesn't seem to understand the release or how this change is adversely affecting our (and probably other) company.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Corey,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for reporting it to us.

I would request you to re-download the .jnlp files as there have been fixes released by the engineering team. Also ensure java version 8 update 45. If the issue still persists kindly let us know.

Regards,

TM

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Corey,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for reporting it to us.

I would request you to re-download the .jnlp files as there have been fixes released by the engineering team. Also ensure java version 8 update 45. If the issue still persists kindly let us know.

Regards,

TM

Level 2

[img]Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 9.23.55 AM.jpg[/img]

Looks like a lot of the bugs with the new calculated metrics builder, especially around creating and saving,  have been resolved. However the new implementation of the calculated metrics has broken all of our legacy calculated metrics. As seen by the attached screen shot, this are how our all of our previously build calculated metrics are reporting.  This is the biggest issue since it spans many reports and across many teams. If there is no way to port over the older calculated metrics into the new implementation, we will need to spend hundreds of hours rebuilding.

Level 10

Hi Corey,

I would advise you to go through the new documentation on calculated metrics, that might have the answer you are seeking.

This is the FAQ - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/calcmetrics/cm_transition.html

This is on setting up calculated metrics - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/calcmetrics/cm_workflow.html

Let me know if you are still facing any issues.

Regards,

TM

Level 2

From the documentation:

This is the FAQ - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/calcmetrics/cm_transition.html

1. 18. (Ad Hoc Analysis only) Are Calculated Metrics with embedded or inline segment definitions still supported?

2. Calculated metrics created in Ad Hoc analysis could previously contain inline segment definitions. This is no longer possible.
  3. What You Need to Do
  4. You will be required to explicitly save the segment. Existing calculated metrics with inline segment definitions will continue to run correctly and can be viewed in Ad Hoc Analysis, but they cannot be saved without explicitly saving the segment.

The problem is this doesn't work for any of the Calculated Metrics written before the spring 2015 update. Even though we open up and save the re-segments, the save doesn't correct the issue. The BIGGER issue is we would need to do this to hundreds of calculateed metrics in reports company wide. Basically Adobe changed the way calculated metrics are created, didn't inform us, and didn't give us any way to move/fix our old calculated metrics into the new system. The only fix is to spend hundred of hours going through all calculated metric and re-creating in the new system (even the supposed "fix" via this article doesn't work). This is our frustration.

Level 10

Hi Corey,

Our sincere apologies for the trouble caused to you.

If the save is not working on your segments, I would request you to reach to our ClientCare and report it to them. They would surely get your problem sorted.

Regards,

TM