Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Site Sections Report

Level 1

When I run a the Site Content/Site Sections report the total number of page views is almost 100,000 page views less than the number I get when I run the Site Metrics/Page Views report. Which number is correct and why is there such a large difference?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Laura,

Excellent question.

It would be worthy to understand the purpose of both the report and variables reporting to it and what allocation it used.

Please refer to the https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Site_Sections_Report

"Shows the areas of your site that are accessed most by your visitors. Site Sections can include groups of products, similar to categories, which you define. "
This report references data directly from the s.channel variable implemented on your website.
All conversion events in the Site Sections Report use last allocation. You will see conversion divided across pages that do not contain success events within your implementation. This is different than the Pages Report, which uses linear allocation.

Hope this solves your query. Please mark it solved if your query is resolved.

Thanks and regards
Akhil

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Laura,

Excellent question.

It would be worthy to understand the purpose of both the report and variables reporting to it and what allocation it used.

Please refer to the https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Site_Sections_Report

"Shows the areas of your site that are accessed most by your visitors. Site Sections can include groups of products, similar to categories, which you define. "
This report references data directly from the s.channel variable implemented on your website.
All conversion events in the Site Sections Report use last allocation. You will see conversion divided across pages that do not contain success events within your implementation. This is different than the Pages Report, which uses linear allocation.

Hope this solves your query. Please mark it solved if your query is resolved.

Thanks and regards
Akhil

Community Advisor

Hi Laura,

I believe when you add the pageviews metric in a report it does not display the total of pageviews for the site but the total of pageviews for the report.

I believe this documentation will complete what Akhil provided in his answer : https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/sc/implement/index.html#channel

Adobe recommends populating the channel variable on every page and the channel value do not persist. If you take the following scenario :

Page 1 and channel set

Page2

Page 3

Page 4 and channel set

Per the scenario I will have a total of 4 pageviews for the site as there were 4 page viewed (and for page report). However i will only have 2 pageviews for channel (Site Section) as it was only set in 2 pages.

So you have less pageviews in your site section report (channel) than in the pageview report or the pages report because the s.channel variable is not set on every single pages.

Best regards.

Alexis Cazes

Level 1

Thank you both for quick response, your answers are very helpful.

Laura