Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Segments working differently in Workspace than in Reporting

Level 2

I have a Segment I have created -

(Visitors with Visit > 1) OR (Visitors with Visit = 1 AND Last 14 Days)

This is a basic level engagement segment to look at Visitors who have visited the site more than once but it includes those recent visitors who may have only had a single visit so far and could come back soon. Note: this is NOT and "engagement" metric question!

I run a Unique Visitor report with this Segment in Reporting and get a suitable answer when running the report for the year to date. When I apply this Segment to a Workspace table the Segment is interpreted differently in that it applies the "Last 14 Days" part of the Segment to ALL of the Segment, i.e. it only give a count of Unique Visitors for the Last 14 Days!

Is it a known fact that Workspace interprets the TIME elements of Segments differently OR is this a bug?

Thank-you for any comments / help

Regards

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

if you use custom time ranges in segments, the whole data gets filtered in workspace based on the segment time range. i saw this behaviour a lot of time and always use a big time range in those segments (eg "AND <<last 36 month>>"). this last condition is always true and will give me a bigger timespan for the segment

example:

1302684_pastedImage_0.png

ericmatisoff​: i have some more examples with data tables to show the behaviour, let me know if you need more.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

there are two 'last 14 days' components - a dimension, and a date range. Which one are you using, and have you tried swapping them?

Level 2

Hi Gigzelle,

I only have a Date Range "Last 14 Days" I do not have a Dimension version.

Regards

Peter

Employee Advisor

Sounds interesting Peter. Can you share a screenshot of the segment?

Level 2

1302668_pastedImage_0.png

In Reporting this does the correct thing, in WorkSpace it only shows data for the last 14 Days!!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

if you use custom time ranges in segments, the whole data gets filtered in workspace based on the segment time range. i saw this behaviour a lot of time and always use a big time range in those segments (eg "AND <<last 36 month>>"). this last condition is always true and will give me a bigger timespan for the segment

example:

1302684_pastedImage_0.png

ericmatisoff​: i have some more examples with data tables to show the behaviour, let me know if you need more.

Level 2

Hi Eric,

I want to have the short time range in the Segment. I am interested in ALL Visitors that have had more than 1 Visit ("engaged" visitors) but this, on it's own, would cut out "new" visitors that have only just come to the site and might become "engaged" by having a second visit sometime in the near future.

Therefore I also want to include in my Segment those visitors who have come to the site and have currently only had one visit but, if they came more than 14 Days ago, I am considering them as "not Engaged" and therefore they should not be included.

This Segment works this way in the standard Reports but, as you have said, it works differently in WorkSpace.

Is this inconsistency a deliberate application of the "time range" elements in WorkSpace OR is it an "undocumented feature"?

Regards

Peter