Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Segment to get a single hit after an event occurs

Level 3

I'm trying to define a segment to get me the single hit after a particular event happens.  I've tried a number of combinations of sequential segments and exclusions but nothing seems to get just the one hit.

The question I'm trying to answer is:

What was the Page Type (v12 and p1) immediately after the customer interacted with the chatbot (event220)?

I've tried the following:

2021-07-19_14-52-39.png

and also:

2021-07-19_14-53-12 copy.png

But these don't limit to just the one hit.

How do I get just the single hit?  Can I use something like Entry page - does that still work after a sequential segment?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Ben_Step , 

i'm not sure how one would do this in workspace, but i thought maybe an addition to your implementation might do the trick. 

I was thinking if you leverage the plugin get previous value plugin, 

use that to pass the event set into a prop on the next hit and then you'd "potentially"  be able to break down that prop by page type, which should show the page type that followed the last event. 

Maybe try test this before publishing out 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi @Ben_Step , 

i'm not sure how one would do this in workspace, but i thought maybe an addition to your implementation might do the trick. 

I was thinking if you leverage the plugin get previous value plugin, 

use that to pass the event set into a prop on the next hit and then you'd "potentially"  be able to break down that prop by page type, which should show the page type that followed the last event. 

Maybe try test this before publishing out 

Community Advisor

You can't segment for a single hit. It's just... impractical in AA's sense. Analytics is usually about looking at trends and behaviours, and your requirement is too narrow for that.

@fredrambert's suggestion is your best option. 

Level 3

I can segment for a hit using the hit scope in the segment builder.

I'm trying to find the trend of what the page type is that people visit immediately after an event happens. But I want to know only the first value rather than all page types after the event.  I don't see how it is different to entry page, other than the event is a custom event rather than the visit start.

Community Advisor

The segment builder with a hit scope would return all hits that meet the segment's conditions. Even when using sequential segments, all hits after the sequence will be returned, not just the immediate next one.

Entry Page isn't a good comparison because this is defined as the first page of a visit. A visit can have one-and-only-one entry page. But in your situation, a visit can have more than one hit after using the chatbot.

Level 3

Right, we've solved this in Workspace using a flow visualisation and the evar that is set at the same time as the event fires:

(e220 fires to say chat interaction, and v165 has the details of what the interaction was)

2021-07-20_16-42-39.png

Now for the real question... how to do this in Report Builder?

I think I'm going to resort to "Create Segment from this path..." and build a segment for each page type. Luckily I'm only interested in five or six page types, not all of them...

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?