Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

same visit Id can be used for multiple visits?

Level 2

I would like to verify if the same visit Id can be used for multiple visits?

Extracting visit ID for eStore automatic traffic we have seen that the same visit ID (=concatenation of visitor ID and visit num) is present both in 2022 and 2024.

Can you please tell me why it is happening.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

I've used data feeds for a long time, and I've seen this more than once. Adobe does reuse visitor/visit IDs. They don't do it within the same year, but in different years it is possible to have the same ID be reused for a new customer. When concatenating the visitor/visit IDs, make sure you include first_hit_time_gmt. This is the time of the very first hit for the visitor. And despite the visitor ID being reused, this field will be different for each customer, so you can use this to separate the two (or more) customers that have been given the same ID.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 6

To my understanding this shouldn't be happening. The only thing I can think of is if there are visits connected as a unique visitor but even then they would have different visit IDs. Can you look into the length of the visit and what actions are being taken? maybe this is come kind of crazy bot? 

Level 2

Thank you very much, I just wanted to know if it was theoretically possible and possible reasons. If they allow analysis over tot years in theory there should be no duplicate id. I can't verify ength of the visit and what actions are being taken.

Level 2

Can you link some documentation about this? 

please

Community Advisor

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about this, but given the massive amount of data that can be processed over years of tracking, I guess re-using stale visit ids could be a way to ensure that they don't run out of values?

I expect most people aren't generally running reports that traverse so many years, and thus haven't actually encountered this... 

But this might be something to check with Client Care?

Level 2

Thank you very much, I just wanted to know if it was theoretically possible and possible reasons. If they allow analysis over tot years in theory there should be no duplicate id. I can't verify ength of the visit and what actions are being taken.

Community Advisor

I haven't found a lot, as I mentioned...

Basically, the general consensus is:

Visit_id = Concatenate post_visid_highpost_visid_lowvisit_num, and visit_start_time_gmt

Level 2

Could it be a cause that we do not collect the visit_start_time_gmt?

Also consider that these duplicate id cases are very few compared to the total.

Community Advisor

Its possible... I don't work with the data stream data directly most of the time, I usually just support my team when they run into snags.

Give that a try and see if it helps?

visit_start_time_gmt is a field that should be captured automatically, but if you're not seeing it in your data feeds, check the job set up to make sure that column has been included. It's possible that whoever set up the job just didn't select that field. 

Correct answer by

I've used data feeds for a long time, and I've seen this more than once. Adobe does reuse visitor/visit IDs. They don't do it within the same year, but in different years it is possible to have the same ID be reused for a new customer. When concatenating the visitor/visit IDs, make sure you include first_hit_time_gmt. This is the time of the very first hit for the visitor. And despite the visitor ID being reused, this field will be different for each customer, so you can use this to separate the two (or more) customers that have been given the same ID.