Expand my Community achievements bar.

Request: Update Month of Year Dimension order based on Report Suite's selected calendar

Level 2

Hi,

I am interested in the Month of Year dimension being configured to be set to each report suite's calendar type.

We use the 4-5-4 NRF calendar and other dimensions such as Day of Week reflect this but Month of Year is only based on January through December.

Thank you,

Michael 

6 Replies

Community Advisor

I would expect this is because "Month of Year" is specifically calendar months...

A 4-5-4 Retail Calendar is a bit different wherein the year is split into "months" following a 4 week / 5 week structure, but it's not as though there is a month name for such designations....

It might be an idea to log an actual idea to propose adding pre-built fiscal month as a separate dimension.. 
https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-ideas/idb-p/adobe-analytics-ideas
(You may have been trying to do this with this post, but this came through as a question, not an idea, and is less likely to be seen by the Adobe product team when they are determining potential improvements)

But in the meantime I can see two potential options...

First, you could create custom date ranges for your fiscal months... there are a few issues with this... you can't use custom date ranges in line graphs (but you can use bar graphs if you are okay with that look), and the fact that your technical "start" date moves every year to the first full week of February.

Second, you could create your own custom dimension, using Date Math to create fiscal months as a custom dimension.. but again, the same line graph issue arises... but you should be able to calculate out the variable start data so that you don't have to continually adjust custom date ranges... (basically you could identify them as Month 1, Month 2, etc, so the same name can be reused each year for comparison reports... as opposed to "Custom Date: Month 1 - 2022" vs "Custom Date: Month 1 - 2023")

I know that neither of these solutions is ideal... 

Level 2

Thank you for the reply Jennifer!

Yes I was attempting to submit as a request so thank you for sharing the link and recommendation to post on the ideas page.

Thanks for your recommendations - I applied a custom date range to my freeform table which yields February as the first row in the list of months so this is a good workaround in the interim.

Community Advisor

I'll watch for the idea to come through and give you an upvote... I think out-of-the box fiscal months would be a great feature.

Community Advisor

FYI, its too bad I can't just move this to Idea... but I can only move it to a Blog or a Discussion.. go figure....

Community Advisor

I liked it. Fingers crossed, though it won't be soon most likely...