Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Report "Mobile > Screen Size Report" is not realistic report for us .. Is it only for our reports?

Level 4

Hi,
Are you using "Mobile > Screen Size Report"?

Our "Mobile > Screen Size Report" said 
Around half of the all users accessed  by "320 x 480" Apple device.(span: May 2014)
And there are no users who use 960 x 640 Apple device. 

I think SiteCatalyst count all iPhone users' screen size as 320 x 480.
Because I check the report and there are no Apple device users in 960 x 640.

I'm sorry to my poor English.
If you answer to my question, I'll appreciate very much. 

Tomo

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi tomo_xxxx, this article actually has your answer:

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/home/index.html#kb-analytics-comparing-iphone-device-ver...

In essence, all Apple devices have the exact same user agent string if on the latest firmware version, so we have zero way to differentiate device versions. All mobile reports are based solely off of user agent string, including screen size. Since we can't differentiate Apple device version and we don't actually collect screen size (we use a lookup table based on user agent), all devices listed under 'iPhone' all have a resolution of 320x480.

The article lists a partial workaround by using JS to obtain screen size, but that's about as accurate as we can get at this point in time since Apple does not include device version in the user agent or other HTTP header tags. We fortunately can get this data via iOS implementation (native apps), but not through a browser implementation.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi Tomo,

I apologize for the confusion.

The Apple iPhone has three different resolutions/screen sizes, so it gets tracked by its screen sizes. Apple iPhone (before iPhone 4) has a screen size of 320×480. Apple iPhone 4 has a screen size of 640×960 and iPhone 5 has a screen size of 640×1136. So if you want to see Apple iPhone 4 or iPhone 5, run the Mobile > Screen Sizes Report and then look for screen sizes 640×960 and 640×1136. Now break down these screen sizes by Mobile > Devices and you should see iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 listed under their respective screen sizes. See attached screenshots.

[img]iPhone4.png[/img] [img]iPhone5.png[/img]

I speculate that Apple iPhone 4 and 5 have less numbers hence they are not at the top of the list. So you can check for them through this method.

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi tomo_xxxx, this article actually has your answer:

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/home/index.html#kb-analytics-comparing-iphone-device-ver...

In essence, all Apple devices have the exact same user agent string if on the latest firmware version, so we have zero way to differentiate device versions. All mobile reports are based solely off of user agent string, including screen size. Since we can't differentiate Apple device version and we don't actually collect screen size (we use a lookup table based on user agent), all devices listed under 'iPhone' all have a resolution of 320x480.

The article lists a partial workaround by using JS to obtain screen size, but that's about as accurate as we can get at this point in time since Apple does not include device version in the user agent or other HTTP header tags. We fortunately can get this data via iOS implementation (native apps), but not through a browser implementation.

Level 4

Hi, Shekhar

Thanks for your kind explanation.

I know each iPhone version has difference screen size.
But I have never seen "Apple iPhone 4" or " Apple iPhone 5" on devices report, and screen width or height of them on screen size report.
You said that those user are very small number, but we checked own device for testing application many times.
And I have checked device report filtering "Apple iPhone" again, there is not "iPhone 4" or "iPhone 5".
(I attached those captured images.)

Should I check any setting with our report suite?

Regards,
Tomo

Level 4

Hi, Gigazelle

Thanks for your kind comment.
I can understand why our report doesnt count number of iPhone 4, 5.
We have to implement additional javascript code on our application if we need these data.

Is there are any way to know how many users of those device without adding the code?

Tomo

Level 10

Hi Tomo,

Please try the advanced filter and use "contains". In the field just type iphone 5 and then do a search. See the screenshot:

[img]filter.png[/img]

Also did you run a screen sizes report and see the 640×1136 resolution listed there?

Thanks!

Level 4

Hi Shekhar

Thanks for your replying!
I filtered device report by "iPhone 5" as you said.
But no data on that report.
Screen size report also has no data.
I attached captured images.

Can almost all users check those "iphone 5"or "iPhone 4" data on device report?
If they can, I think something wrong setting on our mobile report suite or code.

Regards,
Tomo

Level 2

Hi Gigazelle​,

Apologies for resurfacing your answer from a very old post, but I received the exact same question from an analyst in my company.

My question is, why is the reference screen resolution for iPhones the 320x480? This makes no sense, of the current iPhone models in circulation the vast majority is from gen 5 onward, so at least a 1136x640 resolution should be used as minimum size, if not the iPhone 6 one, as the most popular model. Is this something that can be changed somehow?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

Employee Advisor

Short answer is that bad things happen when we change data like that, and the iPhone dimension has been around since gen 1 phones.