Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Regarding Subtotal in analytics freeform table

Level 3

Hi there,

Currently when I was facing trying to use a feature in AA freeform table it seems like the data is incorrect.

Refer the screenshot below

SrividyaVenkat_0-1708583755649.png

In the above mentioned screenshot, the left freeform is created using drag and drop feature with the total of '31,70,258'(visits)  whereas in the next table the dimension used with "Display only selected rows" feature with the visits of '64,51,571'. So, it is clearly visible that the deduplication is not present in the second table, because of which we can see higher counts in the data.

But, this is not supposed to be the situation right.

*Note: This is just an idea where this feature has to work in the similar way with drag & drop or through advanced filters.

Any reason that why is this occurring only when we are viewing with the "Display only selected rows" feature. 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What you're experiencing is correct. This is my layman's explanation:

When you drag-and-drop dimensions into a table, AA "knows" that the values are all coming from the same dimension. So when there is a "Visits" metric in the table that should rightfully report de-duplicated numbers, then AA knows how to calculate the de-duplicated numbers.

But when you drag one value into the table at a time, then AA "doesn't know" that the values are coming from the same dimension. It treats each dimensional value as a unique. This is actually a feature, because it allows you to include values from different dimensions into the same Freeform table. But as a consequence of this, when there is a "Visits" metric in the table, AA is not able to report the de-duplicated numbers. Instead, it uses a simple summation to report the Subtotal and Total numbers.

In short, if your table should have values from the same dimension, drag-and-drop that dimension into your table, then filter the values by your criteria. That allows AA to report de-duplicated numbers correctly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

What you're experiencing is correct. This is my layman's explanation:

When you drag-and-drop dimensions into a table, AA "knows" that the values are all coming from the same dimension. So when there is a "Visits" metric in the table that should rightfully report de-duplicated numbers, then AA knows how to calculate the de-duplicated numbers.

But when you drag one value into the table at a time, then AA "doesn't know" that the values are coming from the same dimension. It treats each dimensional value as a unique. This is actually a feature, because it allows you to include values from different dimensions into the same Freeform table. But as a consequence of this, when there is a "Visits" metric in the table, AA is not able to report the de-duplicated numbers. Instead, it uses a simple summation to report the Subtotal and Total numbers.

In short, if your table should have values from the same dimension, drag-and-drop that dimension into your table, then filter the values by your criteria. That allows AA to report de-duplicated numbers correctly.

Community Advisor

Yes, I second this... I am not crazy on this functionality myself... but individually "dragged in items" and "display only selected rows" make each row act like a quick segment, and just like when you add multiple segments this way, the de-duplication doesn't apply.

So I've found, that if I just want Page A, B and C to show, using a HIT segment:

HIT

Page equals Page A

OR

Page equals Page B

OR

Page equals Page C

And applying it to either the panel, or the table directly, works better than filtering or display only selected rows.