Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Referring domain

Level 1

I want to see what websites/apps are driving visits for for my programmatic display channel. 

When i pull in referring domain pretty much all of visits are coming from 2mdn.net, which is the doubleclick adserver domain. 

Is there a way which i can see the actual website url and not just the doubleclick adserver domain?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unfortunately, if content is coming from an ad-server, that is the referring domain.

While html headers can be configured to pass through original referrers, you are not the only client of DoubleClick and they wouldn't make a change to their system that would help you and potentially hurt all other clients (who actually want and need to know that the traffic was coming from the ad server).

You could use campaign tracking (cid or UTMs) on all the ads links (hopefully with code that would programmatically / dynamically populate source domain information), then use this information to attribute the traffic to the "specified" source.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Unfortunately, if content is coming from an ad-server, that is the referring domain.

While html headers can be configured to pass through original referrers, you are not the only client of DoubleClick and they wouldn't make a change to their system that would help you and potentially hurt all other clients (who actually want and need to know that the traffic was coming from the ad server).

You could use campaign tracking (cid or UTMs) on all the ads links (hopefully with code that would programmatically / dynamically populate source domain information), then use this information to attribute the traffic to the "specified" source.